Round Cake Layer Question

Decorating By SugarSugarDesserts Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 3:18am by mandirombold

SugarSugarDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarSugarDesserts Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 10

I just started making cakes and I was wondering how must people do tround cakes.
How many layers do you normally do? How thick is each layer? Do you fill between the layers or do you tort and fill each layer as well?

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 10

I bake 2, 2" tall layers, torte and fill so that the finished tier has 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 10

It depends on how many people I'm feeding. If it's just for my family, I torte one 2" layer on an 8" and call it good. I do like to torte my layers. It makes the cake so much yummier! If I'm doing more than one layer, I'll torte if I have time or if it's requested. (I'm just a hobby baker and do it for fam and friends.)
Most of the time, I just do filling in between layers.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 10

I bake 2, 2-inch layers and do not torte. Just filling or icing between the two layers and ice the outside. The finished cake is about 4.5 inches tall.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 10

I also bake 2, 2" cakes (from 3" pans) and tort & fill so that there are 4 layers of cake with 3 layers of frosting/filling, plus frosting on top. Final height is somewhere around 4.5" tall. HTH

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 10

I bake using (2) 2" pans. Put about 50% more batter in one pan than the other (i.e. 4 cups in one, 6 cups in the other), I then torte the taller cake and just level the shorter one = 3 layers of cake, 2 layers of filling 4" high. If you use this method, be sure to cook the less full pan for less time.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 10

i do as leah_s ..

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:11am
post #8 of 10

It depends on the cake. Some are 2 2" high layers and 1 layer of filling. Some are 2 2" layers torted,and filled. Some are 3 2" layers and 2 layers of filling. Some are 3 2" layers torted and filled.

03FLSTF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
03FLSTF Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:43am
post #9 of 10

For a casual dessert I bake a 3 cake (usually 8 x 3 pan & level the top) and tort it so I have three layers of cake and two layers of filling. If Im making a special occasion cake then I bake two 2 cakes, level and tort so I have 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling. HTH.

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:18am
post #10 of 10

I do 2 2in layer filled between. I use to torte but i felt if left my cakes alittle unstable. (and no one else was dping it in the area) there are certain filling combos that i do torte

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%