Can Anyone Help Me Answer These Questions?

Decorating By bobwonderbuns Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 3:51am by kellertur

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 8

My Spring classes are starting up this week and I've been thinking about some of the questions I get from students. I'd like to pose them to y'all to see how you would answer them.

One question I get is "why do you use Royal Icing on a cake? It's hard and crunchy. Why not just use buttercream for things like stringwork and detail work?"

Another is "why use modeling chocolate in sculpting, why not just use fondant with tylose?" and "how do you know when to use what?"

Then there's my personal favorite "what's the difference between hi-ratio shortening and 0-Trans fat shortening and why should I care?"

Sooooo, how would y'all answer those questions? icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 8

Because buttercream is not as elasticy as RI and the fact that the RI dries hard is needed for many of the effects (i.e. bridge work) to work. Additionally, fondant and RI just work better together.

Can't answer the 2nd one as I have never used modeling chocolate.

3rd one, break it down into non-food terms. Hi-ratio is
a 60" LCD flat-screen w/ digital cable.

Trans-fat free shortening is
a 6" black and white antennae only tv (remember those?)

For a food answer, the hi-ratio shortening emulsifies perfectly with the other frosting incredients. The trans-fast free Crisco barely emulsifies at all.

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 8

OOOOHHH!!! That's good!! Thanks!!!

Anyone else?? icon_biggrin.gif

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:04am
post #4 of 8

I like using modeling chocolate for some things over fondant with tylose (or gumpaste) because you can blend seams just about perfectly..

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:28am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

3rd one, break it down into non-food terms. Hi-ratio is
a 60" LCD flat-screen w/ digital cable.

Trans-fat free shortening is
a 6" black and white antennae only tv (remember those?)

For a food answer, the hi-ratio shortening emulsifies perfectly with the other frosting incredients. The trans-fast free Crisco barely emulsifies at all.

I respectfully disagree. I use a Hi Ratio, Transfat-free, non-hydrogenated shortening that is just fabulous!! thumbs_up.gif ~ Oh, and I don't use Crisco.

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:35am
post #6 of 8

What's the brand Kellertur? I've used the Sweetex and the Alpine and the ABC/123 or whatever it's called (some letters) brand -- all hi ratio but all have trans fats in them.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:47am
post #7 of 8

kellertur, sorry the 2nd part was in reference to the generic store brand shortenings and Crisco. :0)

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:51am
post #8 of 8

No worries... icon_smile.gif I like reading your posts, you've got a great sense of humor!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%