Shell Border Question

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 9:24pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 6

When you all do shell borders, do you normally use a smaller shell on the top of the cake, or do you use the same tip top and bottom? Thanks!

5 replies
KHalstead Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 6

I use the same sized tip

TheCakerator Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 6

great, thanks!

TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 6

Mostly the same but it just depends. icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 6

If I am doing the same border, then I use the same tip. For fancier cakes, however, I often do one kind of border on bottom and a different one on top, the one top being the most elaborate as there is more room for over-piping there.

For a simple, but elegant look, alternate shells and rosettes along the bottom borner using a tip 14. For the top, pipe a reverse shell border with a tip 12.

If you want to get a bit fancier, pipe a very neat shell border along the bottom with a tip 14, Then, using a tip 104, pipe a standing 1/2 petal between each shell. For the top, pipe a neat shell border using a tip 14. Then pipe tip 12 elongated C's with curled ends (with the open part of the C towards the middle of the cake) begin in the middle (crest) of one shell to the middle (crest) of the next. Over pipe with tip 8, then tip 4, then tip 2. Place white (or silver or gold) dragees atop the curled ends of every C.

For a girly cake, pipe small, tip 101, 5-petal roses and place them close together around the bottom of the cake as the border. Pipe a single leaf and different angles, between the roses. For the top border, using tip 125 and very stiff (but not dry!) icing, pipe a ruffle that has about 1/2 on top of the cake and half sticking out off of the cake. At the edge of the ruffle, pipe a small, delicate reverse shell border with tip #13. Using tip 2, pipe small pearls along both sides of the reverse shell border.

TheCakerator Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 6

thanks everyone! This was just your regular old sheetcake, so I just went shells on top and bottom. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%