This Bride Cracked Me Up, Thinkin Shes So Slick.... (Long)

Decorating By ttehan4 Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 4:09pm by 2txmedics

Win Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:57am
post #91 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

Gothic Wannabee Does Not Equal Hillbilly

When we categorize customers, we are placing ourselves on the same level...for example: when you say these people are "hillbillies", you not only offend those of us who are from those areas, you weaken your point.

If you lived in KY, you would know that we have over 54 colleges, universities, and community and technical colleges. Lexington is ranked 10th (percentage wise)in the USA of cities with population of college educated citizens...so I take exception with you, as well as Diane Sawyer, in quantifying my state in this manner.

We have hillbillies with huge hearts who have jobs and some have no job opportunities; we have educated people with and without employment; we have those who have no additional education who are wealthy, and vice-versa...we have people who want a Christian wedding and others who have not Christ in their lives who get married in all sorts of ways...wedding cakes are eclectic! It is a joining of two...at least these people are getting married! thumbs_up.gif

Please do not put all of us who live in a geographical area incorrectly in the same descriptive pot as your customers...I am a sixth generation educated person who is one of many from Eastern Kentucky...still raising her Kentucky family, baking/designing cakes, and loving "Cake Centralites", while NOT living as a "Gothic wannabee". None of us convey the description of your almost-a-customer who wanted a haunted house wedding cake. Our haunted houses are still inhabited. icon_wink.gif
p.s. we almost all bleed "blue"...go UK! (unless you live in Louisville and then you wear white on certain days and use a lot of red, black, and white on your cakes...hehehehehe...lovingly said for all of my clients who live there) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

AMEN, Kentucky Sister, well said!!!! (and... We bleed Blue in LOU!!!) icon_lol.gif

Deb_ Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:14am
post #92 of 113

Did someone say this person was from Kentucky? I'm confused. icon_confused.gif

motherofgrace Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:18am
post #93 of 113

i dont think anyone said they are a hillbilly because of where they are from, but how they are portraying themselves. And if you dont want to be all lumped into 1 category, why are YOU using that word for who you are trying to defend?

We are saying this person needs to learn how to write a letter, we are not saying.... "wow those southerner sure are dense".....see the difference>

kiwigal81 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:42am
post #94 of 113

I'm confused. What the heck does hillbilly mean to you guys? Over here, it means something quite specific, and it's not something you would call yourself. What do you mean by hillbilly?

Bluehue Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:16am
post #95 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigal81

I'm confused. What the heck does hillbilly mean to you guys? Over here, it means something quite specific, and it's not something you would call yourself. What do you mean by hillbilly?

Guess it is like someone calling themselves a Bogan - i mean, why would you? icon_confused.gifthumbsdown.gif

Bluehue

JustToEatCake Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:00am
post #96 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigal81

Guess it is like someone calling themselves a Bogan - i mean, why would you? icon_confused.gifthumbsdown.gif

Bluehue

Hillbilly
Hillbilly is a term referring to people who dwell in rural, mountainous areas of the United States, primarily Appalachia and the Ozarks. Due to its strongly stereotypical connotations, the term is frequently considered derogatory, and so is usually offensive to those Americans of Ozarkan and Appalachian heritage. However, the term is also used in celebration of their culture by mountain people themselves. Such co-opting and neutralizing use is almost exclusively reserved for the mountain people themselves.

Appalachia has some of the poorest citizens of the US. It would amaze most of us if we truly knew how some people still live. This is why I only donate to Appalachia causes. Those children need help/clothes/food as much as any third world country. Funny how we've forgotten about that group of our own citizens. They are some of the finest people you could ever meet. They might not have much but they'll share everything they have and help you in a pinch (most of course can't speak for all).

Anyway, I'm certain this wasn't the case in your bride as she had access to a computer and internet...so I feel that was just her speech pattern...scary though.

costumeczar Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:32pm
post #97 of 113

Heck, there are hillbillies and rednecks everywhere, they just have different names for them in different regions. I think that the common thread is the perceived lack of education, which is why the pro-Kentucky poster stresses education so much.

I grew up in the south and live here now, but I've lived all over the U.S. Rednecks exist everywhere, it's a state of mind more than a geographical designation. icon_rolleyes.gif

ttehan4 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:36pm
post #98 of 113

Why is it that every post seems to take a sour note. It seems like every one I read on here ends up with a bunch of bitter arguing. Something always manages to get taken out of context.

This forum post was just suppose to be us all sharing one of those funny emails that we all get and having a good laugh. So lets not let the post go there and turn into something no one wants to read.

Hhhhh. Anyways, I haven't heard from this bride again, but I did just finish a tasting with a couple that came to me on a referral from another bride. I pride myself with having really good, beautiful cakes for a great price. I am still charging a fair amount for my cakes, yet I still beat out my competitors. This bride had already been to another cake shop and got a quote. She was telling her husband that my prices were cheaper than the other people during the tasting. I did give them a small break on the cost per serving, as I always try to do with military families. Well the cake was for 76 servings and came to only 274.00. That is only 3.60 per serving. Mind you this was a three tier cake. Simple design. And she said "Oh, that is 74 dollars over our budget."

OMG! Are you freaking kidding me. I can't win for losing. They were already getting a discount and had already said my prices were lower than the competitor. I didn't budge. Take it or leave it! "She also said I can't believe how much wedding cakes are." She said when we got married 11 years ago our cake was only 75.00 for 400 people." Wow! was all I could say. Thats 19 cents a serving!

Okay, sorry it got so long again!

candynumber1 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:39pm
post #99 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Wow. u no, i hav a hrd time takin anione seryously woo doens't take no timie 2 spel corectly. Your response was perfect.

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

candynumber1 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:43pm
post #100 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Wow. u no, i hav a hrd time takin anione seryously woo doens't take no timie 2 spel corectly. Your response was perfect.

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

ttehan4 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:46pm
post #101 of 113

Oh, I forgot to tell ya'll I'ma Hillbilly from Ohhiee!

MyDiwa Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:19pm
post #102 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

If I see a sign up in a business with spelling or grammar mistakes, I get the manager and explain to him/her why it is wrong and write down a correction for him/her. If it's still up and incorrect the next time I go in there, I might not come back.

LOL! That sounds soooo like a teacher - the kind I had at least.

apetricek Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:43pm
post #103 of 113

THis is as good as the client I got the other day calling for a 3 tiered cake to feed 80 peole for at the most $45.00 ummmmm can you say NO!!!

MrsNancyB1 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 8:19pm
post #104 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntmamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

I think for all of us that found that email extremely hard to read, we should thank a teacher!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

I didn't read all the posts. But I personally KNOW a teacher who writes words like 'lemme' and 'wanna' and 'ya know?'. icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Ednarooni Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 9:09pm
post #105 of 113

The only take I take on this is that I think she "was" trying to get "something" for "nothing"... Can people who spell or talk funny order expensive cakes and pay their bills?...sure they can...

CarrieBear Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 9:02pm
post #106 of 113

I believe people like this really do exist in the world, all thanks to the TV show COPS..

costumeczar Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 9:54pm
post #107 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieBear

I believe people like this really do exist in the world, all thanks to the TV show COPS..

I know they exist, because they were my neighbors when I lived in Boston. I couldn't move out of that neighborhood fast enough!

Mensch Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 9:56pm
post #108 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieBear

I KNOW they exist. I've seen the People of Walmart website.

Mrs-A Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 10:18pm
post #109 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttehan4

Oh, I forgot to tell ya'll I'ma Hillbilly from Ohhiee!

and im a westie from Blacktown

my hubby and i eloped so on our wedding day we had an 8am scuba dive, a 10am scuba dive, got married at 1pm and then at 3pm went for our scuba dive wedding picture session - our wedding cake topper was a shark with a "just married" attached so i happily have no class icon_biggrin.gif

sweetaudrey Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 4:02am
post #110 of 113

WOW! I text all the time and I don't have terrible grammar and spelling like that. Sure, I have errors here and there but I don't rite lyk tis al tha time.

$350?!? and only 100 servings for that large and crazy of a cake? Bahahaha!

mimido Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 3:17pm
post #111 of 113

They do exist, I worked for a law enforcent agency and was explaing the child seat law and they wanted to know if they could put I bolts in the bed of the truck to strap it down with.

tryingcake Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 9:40pm
post #112 of 113

[quote="Mrs-A"

my hubby and i eloped so on our wedding day we had an 8am scuba dive, a 10am scuba dive, got married at 1pm and then at 3pm went for our scuba dive wedding picture session - our wedding cake topper was a shark with a "just married" attached so i happily have no class icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

Personally, I think that sounds fun!!

2txmedics Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 4:09pm
post #113 of 113

icon_razz.gif whew!!!! lol, let me get off the floor from laughing so HARD!!!! ....you handled it very well, while Im not a pro, I do know what it takes to make cakes!!! Learned alot from you guys....lol!!!!!!!!! Wait, almost off the floor!...
Im sorry, you were very nice with all your anger hidden behind it, as it was an insult, but some ppl have ALOT of nerve!! icon_mad.gif I would have said "OH, 300.00 something, tell you what....why dont you "save more" and make it yourself out of a box and go to the dollar store and buy your own figures!" If your lucky it will cost you not more than 50.00 thumbs_up.giftapedshut.gif Ok I didnt say that....LOL!!!!! *wiping tears*...LOL Im so Mean, .....LOL, L.O.L!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%