Cake Sketch From Another Baker?

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 7:44pm by TexasSugar

CakeMommyTX Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 9

I'm not postitive but I'm pretty sure the sketch a customer emailed me is from another baker.
It is drawn on graph paper and labled with "decorator" terms.
How do I ask if this design came from another baker without offending them?
It's a cute design and if they really did draw it themselves then I would be more then happy to create it with cake.

But if they went to another baker, wasted that bakers time having them design a cake and brought the design to me for whatever reason I would'nt want to do that.
I'd have to design one myself.
I just don't want to accuse them of stealing a design, so how do I ask tactfully?

8 replies
_Jamie_ Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 9

How would they have stolen it? Slipped it out of the designer's notebook on the way out the door? I email sketches to people. If they print out my sketch, and take it elsewhere...too bad for me.

Make it. And do it 100 times better than the sketch.

ccr03 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 9

Ditto to Jaime, but if you really want to know - ask. "Oh, this is beautiful! Did you design it yourself?"

_Jamie_ Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

Ditto to Jaime, but if you really want to know - ask. "Oh, this is beautiful! Did you design it yourself?"

Oh yes!! I would do that too... icon_twisted.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 9

I guess I just felt bad that someone else had possibly took the time to design and draw the cake just to have it taken somewhere else.
It really is a cute design, I think it needs a few more details, but would be fun to make.

There was a thread about a year ago about bakers not letting their sketchs out the door until the deposit was paid, this just reminded me of that.
Some decorator was upset that their design had been taken to a different designer and made for cheaper.

leah_s Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 9

Whenever I email a sketch, I put the copyright symbol on the page If its an in-person consultation, I do not let the sketch out the door. If it did come from anther baker, I certainly wouldn't touch it. In fact I go into some detail on my website, that I won't copy other designs.

dailey Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

How would they have stolen it? Slipped it out of the designer's notebook on the way out the door? I email sketches to people. If they print out my sketch, and take it elsewhere...too bad for me.

Make it. And do it 100 times better than the sketch.

exactly...

KHalstead Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 9

If the other baker didnt get compensation for the time spent with the couple then that's their fault really. I combine tastings/consultations and don't do one without the other and charge $25.00 so my time and effort (and ingredients) are more than accounted for. If someone took one of my sketches somewhere else to get a lower price i wouldn't personally care because I've been paid $25 to sit for an hour while they taste a cupcake!

I understand why you feel weird about it, but from a bride's perspective she's probably just trying to get the cake for the best price.

TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:44pm
post #9 of 9

I'm a hobby baker so I only do cakes for friends and family and haven't been asked to sketch a cake, thank goodness since I can't draw, but I have to ask...

How is a cake sketch different than doing a cake off a picture someone else did? If the orginal baker gave them the sketch with out an plans in place then surely they have to know that that sketch may be taken somewhere else?

I know some people won't copy any one elses designs at all, and I'm so those people are super creative because I need ideas go off of. So I can see the no to sketch and pictures for them.

Ccr, gave you a great way to ask. I'd be prepared with your reply when you ask though. Are you prepared not to do it if it is another designers drawing?

I think the designer could be unhappy if you did the cake better icon_wink.gif or you gave a way lower price than they would have. But if they gave out a sketch with none of their information on it, then they should have considered it may have been taken somewhere else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%