How Do I Clean My Pasta Machine?

Decorating By jojo76 Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 2:00pm by jojo76

jojo76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo76 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 9

Just wondering, since you cant really wash it because of rust issues, how do you clean your pasta machine if you use it for rolling out sugarpaste. I have just wiped mine with a damp cloth and dried it with another, but I feel like I should be doing more to clean it more thoroughly, wondering what everyone else does? icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 9

Use a clean pastry brush to get into the nooks and crannies.

jojo76 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks Loucinda (I was reading through the gelatin butterfly thread the other day - AMAZING!). If the rollers are left a bit sticky from the sugar paste, what do you use? Plain water to dampen the brush or do you use a bit of soap and then try to rinse it off? Sorry for the silly questions, Im having a bit of a brain freeze today!!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 9

pastry brush here.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 9

I would let them dry completely, then brush them off (or carefully pick the stuck stuff off - turning the rollers as needed) - you don't want the rollers wet. I have ran a couple of dry paper towels through mine too to try to help. If you keep the rollers lightly brushed with cornstarch, they will usually not get stuff stuck to them. Hope this helps!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 9

rosemary watson.. taught us in her classes . she did the laces in molds,etc.. to take a cloth towel... dampen a place on it... turn machine on and set on no1.. the biggest opening.. go under the roller..not on top.. and hold the cloth there while machine is running.. then take a dry part of the cloth..and do the same... then put a little shortening on another part of the cloth. and hold it under the roller as machine runs.. been doing this way for 15 yrs.. works GREAT.. going under the rollers...helps prevent cloth from getting tangled up in pasta machine and causing a mess. hth again....she was queen of the lace molds until she retired..

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 9

I just dampen my papertowel with vodka and just like Icer101 mentioned, I run the roller on and hold the towel while running.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 11:01pm
post #8 of 9

Send it to me and I'll clean it for you. So clean you won't see a thing on it, promise!
icon_razz.gif

jojo76 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:00pm
post #9 of 9

thanks everyone for the suggestions, vodka on a cloth sounds like a winner!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%