Re-Bake????

Decorating By cgarner Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm by Loucinda

cgarner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgarner Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 5

I have a four tiers cake to make for this weekend. Last night I thought I would go ahead and start some of the baking and freeze some of the cake. Well, the bottom tier is going to be a 12" square. As I was taking is out of the pan it split on me. Both layers!!! I went ahead and got them back together and froze both of them. My question is, should I still use them? Should I just re-bake? If I use the split ones will the be strong enough to be the bottom layer on a four tier. (Using support of course.) Will it serve up messy? What do you all think? Thanks in advance!

4 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 5

I would re-bake because it is the base of the cake and needs to be structurally sound to support the other 3 tiers.
If it was a single layer sheet I would just patch it, but better to be safe then sorry.
HTH.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 5

Rebake

cgarner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgarner Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 5

Ok. Thanks!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 5

I disagree. I bake my 20 and 22 inch rounds in half round pans, which is about the same scenario. The cake itself is NOT going to hold up the other tiers, the support system does.

If you think that cake will hold together on its own, it should be fine. (if it is a "clean" split) I just put the pieces together so that they don't all line up (think X) the split on each layer should be opposite - hope that makes sense) spackle them together and then ice.

Make sure the supports are not going into where the splits are.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%