Icing Ideas For Red Velvet And Strawberry Cake...

Decorating By lesliem1187 Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 1:59pm by jammjenks

lesliem1187 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesliem1187 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 12

I'm making a two tiered Valentine's Day Cake with one strawberry tier and one red velvet tier. I am looking for a recipe (or possibly 2) for icing on these cakes. I'm not sure how well a buttercream icing would go with these cakes(which is what I would normally use). I have tried a cream cheese recipe but it was WAY to hard to decorate with it kept melting and running, obviously it wasn't stable enough. So if anyone has any suggestions on icing recipes for these cakes that will be manageable to decorate with (and still yummy of course) I would greatly appreciate the help. icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 12

I usually use the Decorator's Cream Cheese recipe http://cakecentral.com/recipes/4153/decorators-cream-cheese-frosting Sometimes I'll add more PS if I need it stiffer.

I think strawberry cream cheese would be yummy. Also, you should have time to order some Butavan flavoring. Just google it b/c the website gets blocked from CC. It's a richer buttery flavoring that is just YUM!!!! And my most resquested (however I just ordered some Wedding Bouquet & we'll see if it's all the rave). Another option would be chocolate. I think I would like a lighter chocolate (maybe whipped) b/c both RV & Strawberry can be heavy cakes. I know chocolate & strawberries go together & RV has a hint of chocolate, so don't see why it shouldn't.

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 12

I was going to say cream cheese (goes great with both), but I see you already tried. How about a good vanilla flavor? Maybe a good, strong, creamy vanilla icing (imagine vanilla ice cream) can work for both?

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 12

I use a classic buttercream with a 1/4 cup cream cheese. It's just enough for a hint of cream cheese taste without messing up the consistancy of the buttercream.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 12

i agree use the decorators cream cheese icing, it's good and works well. I too would sub strawberry cream cheese for the regular if they don't mind a pink tinted icing!

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 12

One of my most requested cakes is a strawberry margarita cake. I admit to being a doctored cake mix caker, so for this I use a strawberry cake mix (usually DH) and substitute some margarita mix for the water. The DH mix calls for 1 1/3 cup of water so I use 2/3 cup water and 2/3 cup margarita mix. I will also add the margarita mix as flavoring in my BC icing, instead of vanilla or almond. This goes well with the cake, and I always get rave reviews for it.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:04am
post #8 of 12

White chocolate butterceram would work as a good alternative to cream cheese.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:53am
post #9 of 12

Dreamy creamy white chocolate cream cheese frosting is my fave with red velvet cake! (scroll down from the cake). I dont' use this cake recipe, though it is good. I just prefer Chef Stef's: But this icing is AMAZING!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000407551 icon_smile.gif

lesliem1187 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesliem1187 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:10am
post #10 of 12

thank you so much for all the replies. Now I need to get to work checking out all these great suggestions.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:24am
post #11 of 12

For red velvet, I use cream cheese icing for the filling and smbc for the exterior. The best of both worlds.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:59pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

I use a classic buttercream with a 1/4 cup cream cheese. It's just enough for a hint of cream cheese taste without messing up the consistancy of the buttercream.

I do this too, Kelli.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%