Edible Image On Cookies Help

Baking By sjmoral Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 12:51am by luv2bake6

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 6

I'm planning to use edible images on some cookies for my daughters' school and now I'm confused. I read there is a "backing" on the image, what is this? I've used images before and I use them just like I buy them. I don't think they are the rice ones although I don't even know the diference.
I am planning on covering with royal icing and the placing the image (when completely dry right??).
Do I just stick with some water? Or is piping gel better? Can I just use a drop of royal icing?
Thanks for your help as usual!
Sheila

5 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 6

The backing is the plastic that you seperate from the edible sheet. I use piping gel, because i tried water and it just made the image fall apart before i could put it on the cookie.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 6

I do a light smooth smear of buttercream.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:23am
post #4 of 6

after taking them off the backing, I've painted on some corn syrup at the edges to get it to stick to the RI covered cookie.

cookiefool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiefool Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:39am
post #5 of 6

The only 2 kinds of edible images that I've used are chocolate transfers and the images on rice paper that you simply cut out and adhere to your cake or cookie with buttercream, royal icing, piping gel, etc. I make my own cookie glaze and just pop them on. I sometimes go around the image with royal icing if i want. So, I'm not sure what kind you have there. I've never used the kind where you just "peel" them off of paper. I'm curious. Where did you get them?

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:51am
post #6 of 6

I either use piping gel to adhere the image, or i brush thinned out RI or glaze onto the back. I also like to pipe some border around because i don't like the way it looks just plopped onto the cookie (and often times, the edges fray when peeling off, or the image sometimes prints off the frosting surface)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%