I Need A Uk-Based Icing Wholesaler

Business By CakesForMyKids_Com Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 6:56pm by CakesForMyKids_Com

CakesForMyKids_Com Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesForMyKids_Com Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 6

Firstly, I don't know if this is the right place to post this but it's more about the business side of things rather than the end-product.

I'm in the UK and I need to find a wholesaler for icing and other products. Does anyone know of any?

I should mention that I'm a hobbyist and not a business, but I'm hoping that there is a UK-based business out there that has the info I need.

Thanks in advance

5 replies
loopilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopilu Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,

I am affraid I dont have an answer to your question, but somebody on the 'thread for uk bakers' might, maybe you should ask in there:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-622656.html

that link shoul take you to that thread. you might have to copy and paste it icon_redface.gif

I too am keen to know if there is as I am in the same boat as you!

lou icon_smile.gif

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 6

I don't use a wholesaler as sutch but by my sugarpaste/fondant from www.design-a-cake.co.uk as they sell it in 5kg blocks. Many wholesale companies don't normally supply the hobby baker but have you tried places like makkro or cosco. I also know Shepcote the supply company to many places do supply sole traders. HTH

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 6

What sort of products / quantities are you after?

Suzanne x

laidbackluvvie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laidbackluvvie Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 6

windsor cakecraft are reasonable prices and have an online shop, im lucky enough to be able to go there as i live nearby, and having compared prices in other shops they are ok, hope this helps.

CakesForMyKids_Com Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesForMyKids_Com Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 6

I'm not really sue what quantities I need - and I know that makles it difficult for anyone to help.

I tend to do two or three cakes a month (at the most) but whilst they started small and simple, they have grown recently and I'm now doing multiple tiers as a standard design, with some of them involving custom, 3d, cake boards. I tend to use somewhere in the region of 1 kilo of fondant per cake, along with whatever amount of buttercreme that comes from 500g of butter. In addition to this, the wife has started to make cupcakes for friends kids' parties (also as a hobby, not charging) and she goes through about the same quantitiy of buttercreme again for them.

I'm also starting to play with gumpaste (not used it in anger before) and I want to expand my collection of tins and tools.

It just seems to be sooooo expensive treking down to hobbycraft or the local cake shop to by 100g/250g packs of icing etc...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%