Batter Amount Help, Thanks

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 4:14pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 10

I have three boxes of pillsbury white cake mix and I cant remember if that will give me 1 11X15 single sheet cake or 1 12X18 single sheet cake! Thanks!

9 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 10

I am not sure how much pillbury cake mix makes but here is a chart to help you
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 10

I'm not sure about the 11x15. But you'll get one single layer from a 12x18 with three mixes.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 10

Single layer 12x18, but you can do 11x15 - it will just be taller. Or just use two boxes. If you do use all 3 in the 11x15 make sure and use flower nails or something as a heating core since it will be thicker.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 10

Pillsbury like Betty Crocker make about 4-5 cups of batter depending on the flavor. An 11x15 needs 11 cups for a full 2in layer and a 12x18 needs 14 cups for a full 2in layer.

TheCakerator Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 10

thanks!!

I am also curious if I could use the cake mix extender recipe. I have everything it calls for, EXCEPT I only have 8oz of sour cream, BUT, I have a container of yoplait light thick and creamy french vanilla yogurt. Do you think I could mix the sour cream and the yogurt and use the extender recipe? I would like to make the 12X18 sheetcake, but I would like it to be tall. Im thinking 3 boxes won't give me enough batter to make a tall 2in 12X18 cake, but if I used 2 boxes and the extender, I would be golden. Any thoughts on this??

TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 10

I think the extender gives you about two cups more. (The extender for the single cake mix not double.) So that is 7+4+4, which would give you 15 cups. I can't see why you can't mix the sour cream and yogurt. I've made it both ways and it works fine so I don't know why it wouldn't work combined. Doing the extender with two cake mixes will give you 14 cups.

You can do it either way.

TheCakerator Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:35pm
post #8 of 10

so the cake mix extender recipe on this site, are all those additions only for one cake mix?

TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 10

There are different ones, that is why I asked to see the recipe you are using. The WASC recipe usually has two cakes mixes to the amounts of every thing are doubled. I don't deal with that big of cakes so I generally do single recipes (single cake mix and the 1 cup additions.)

The recipe you posted in the other thread is a single cake mix recipe. So if you are using it with two cakes mixes and want to extend them both, then you would double it.

TheCakerator Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 10

thanks texas sugar! I need to slow down and pay better attention!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%