Cake For 140 - 160 People?

Decorating By sweet-n-sassy Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 2:14am by hp6472

sweet-n-sassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-n-sassy Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:39am
post #1 of 12

I am making a wedding cake for 140 - 160 people, but the couple only wants it to be 2 tiers. Will a 14'' and 16'' be enough or will there need to be sheet cakes too?

11 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:42am
post #2 of 12

I think Wilton website has a chart for servings per what size cake

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:44am
post #3 of 12

A round 14"-16" will give 175 servings.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:50am
post #4 of 12

12 & 16" rounds will yield 156 wedding servings, while 10 & 16" rounds will yield 138 wedding servings.

Here's the link to Wilton's wedding cake servings/cake preparation charts for 2" pans:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:35am
post #5 of 12

I have no tolerance for brides who tell me they want 1000 servings but only want a 3 tier cake. (Big sigh!!)

I have no problem telling them, "Well, that's going to look pretty silly, having a 10" and 16" cake. You can easily have 3 or 4 tier cake for that many people."

And I HAVE told brides, "You can't have a 2 (or 3 or whatever) tier with that many people. Here's what we CAN do for you ,....."

That's like telling a home builder, "I want a 6 bedroom house but I only want it be a total of 900 square feet." icon_eek.gif

Unless they are well versed in cake design (or home design) I dont' see where they get to call the engineering shots.

JanH Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:42am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I have no problem telling them, "Well, that's going to look pretty silly, having a 10" and 16" cake. You can easily have 3 or 4 tier cake for that many people."

I always wonder if the brides that request 2 layers when more would be aesthetically appealing, think that there's an additional charge for having additional tiers above the per slice cost....

So limiting the cake design to two tiers is a way to save money on their weddng cake???

Like saving money by having a really small wedding cake with numerous kitchen cakes in the back....

Or a huge 5-8 tier dummy cake and tons of sheet cakes in the back...

Wedding cake myths and misconceptions. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 12

Jan, I never thought of that! They may be thinking they will save money by having fewer tiers. Poor things! All the bad info they've been fed by those terrible bridal magzs! icon_cry.gif

JanH Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:31am
post #8 of 12

Here's a thread which illustrates this:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-670348-.html

HTH

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:

Jan, I never thought of that! They may be thinking they will save money by having fewer tiers. Poor things! All the bad info they've been fed by those terrible bridal magzs! icon_cry.gif

indydebi, sorry to highjack , but i have tried to figure out if your the person that shows how to cut cake? And if so what tool is it that you use. It look's like a metal wide tooth comb, of some sorts, would love to have one but have no ideal what the correct name is for it. icon_confused.gif

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #10 of 12

I recently read in another forum a caker who refuses to make a top tier any bigger than 7" simply for aesthetic reasons.
To big tiers just end up looking flat and squat. Who wants a cake that looks like a football field?

indydebi Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:19pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

indydebi, sorry to highjack , but i have tried to figure out if your the person that shows how to cut cake? And if so what tool is it that you use. It look's like a metal wide tooth comb, of some sorts, would love to have one but have no ideal what the correct name is for it. icon_confused.gif

Called a cake cutting comb, a cheese comb, a cake breaker, angel food cake comb. Can be found on ebay all the time.

hp6472 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hp6472 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:14am
post #12 of 12

Reply to hijack... sorry for that...but:

Yes, Debi does show how to cut cakes. And it's all with pictures and such:
http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html

Excellent!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%