Advice Needed For Shoe Strap - Pic Attached

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 9:42pm by chilz822

chilz822 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:33am
post #1 of 5

Hi all,
I'm making my first shoe and so far so good! I have the entired shoe made with the exception of the T-Strap (ankle strap and top strap). I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is, in order to prevent breakage...

I've tried to encase a wire into the pieces but that's not working so well, unless I'm just not doing it right.

I've made the shoe out of gray gumpaste in order to make silver dusting easier...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

4 replies
ApplegumKitchen Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:42am
post #2 of 5

When I make straps for shoes - I attach the thin strips of fondant to strips of clear acetate - the exact length and width of your straps.
You can't see it and it also helps to hold the shape without the necessity of waiting for it to dry.

It might be a bit hard to attach now if the shoe is completed - I normally attach to the underside of the inner sole shape before I put the outer sole on.

Just a thought for next time.

msthang1224 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 5

Hi, maybe you can make the straps and (if you have or can find one) and use the cardboard or plastic shoe horn (I think that's what its called) that comes in some new pairs of shoes. Its shaped just like the inside of your shoe. Ummm.. you know it looks like the wooden shoe stretcher from back in the day. OMG, I'M SORRY, I wish I had a pic to show you. Well, I was thinking for you to make straps, place that under them until it dries. It would help hold and keep form.

Hope I explained this right. I see it in my head, lol. GOOD LUCK!

jayne1873 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 5

Hi you could make from the gumpaste attach to the shoe and put scrunched up cling film inside until it dries. I tried that on the shoe I made (although the shoe wasnt very good lol the strap worked)

chilz822 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 5

Yeah, I got it! I actually got it to work with a thin gauge wire and scrunched up cling film and it worked pretty good.
Thanks to you all!
The shoe looks 'ok' for a first try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%