Grey Fondant?

Decorating By princesscatt Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 5:56pm by princesscatt

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:14am
post #1 of 9

Trying to make grey fondant for an elephant figure. I used a small amount of wilton black and now I have purple fondant..i add more white fondant and I get lilac???? LOL...should I just keep adding white fondant?? Or should i just make a hippo instead?

8 replies
Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:23am
post #2 of 9

I would like to know the answer to that also as I need to make some gray buildings in a few weeks. I was wondering if that's what would happen if you tried to make gray fondant...PURPLE or LILAC!!!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:27am
post #3 of 9

Use Americolor! Perfect gray, with only a touch of black used. I just finished a whole cake in gray (Indiana Jones temple) ... check it out ... http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1565829&sub=1565832

Using the Americolor instead of Wilton makes all the difference, truly! HTH!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:35am
post #4 of 9

definitely use Americolor super black from now on! It only takes a tiny amount to make gray. I'm not sure how to do it with Wilton colors. I only use those in a pinch. Maybe it won't look so bad once it's dried some. Sorry, I can't be of more help, but good luck!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:42am
post #5 of 9

Yeah, I think Wilton uses a different combo of colors to get their black so gray is impossible! Use Americolor black or superblack, just a little bit, to get gray - I just made a skatepark cake and used Americolor in my fondant.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:46am
post #6 of 9

I have Americolor black - and I take it that you don't need much. Thanks for the info and thanks to the OP for asking the question that I needed an answer to also.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:56am
post #7 of 9

No, just the tiniest bit. Glad it helped!

NoahLili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoahLili Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:17am
post #8 of 9

I've tried using wilton black several times to get gray, and have always ended up with lilac as well. I've never had a problem since switching to Americolor!

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks...I will order some tonight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%