"the Cake Bible" Recipes - Feedback?

Decorating By kel58 Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 4:23pm by wtmifm167

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 10

Hey everyone. I'm nearly certain that there is another post somewhere out there about recipes from "The Cake Bible" but i cant seem to find them under the search function. Im thinking of trying the "all-occasion downy yellow butter cake" to make a marble cake. Any feedback about it? or other suggestions for a good scratch recipe for making a marble cake?
Thanks in advance
Kelly

9 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 12:28am
post #2 of 10

I have a copy of that book and I'm probably going to donate it to the local library. Every cake I've made from that book has come out dry and dense. She seriously has you over mix everything. I have much better luck with recipes from Epicurious and All Recipes.

anotherslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anotherslice Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:43am
post #3 of 10

There is a marble cake recipe in Rose Levy Beranbaum's new book Rose's Heavenly Cakes. I haven't tried that recipe yet, but I've tried three recipes from that book and have had no disappointments. I love The Cake Bible as a reference, I've made a few good cakes from there (Pumpkin Walnut, Golden Grand Marnier). I would never give it away, in fact I would replace it someday, the book binding is starting to come apart.
I loved marble cake as a child but I haven't had it since. Good luck with your search!
I would try that recipe you suggested but be sure to check your cake at least ten minutes before you think it's done. If you get no crumbs when you check it, it's probably overbaked; you should have a few slight crumbs (not wet batter) clinging to a toothpick placed in the center of the cake when the cake is ready.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:02am
post #4 of 10

It's pretty easy to make marble cake. Just remove about 1 cup of your vanilla recipe and mix in about 1/4 cup melted and cooled chocolate chips. After you have put the vanilla batter in the pan(s) pour the chocolate batter over the vanilla and then swirl with a butter knife.

I usually change her recipes by using buttermilk. I also add an additional 1/4 cup for each cup of liquid. Baking times will vary with your oven so keep a close eye on them. If you can smell them they are very close to being done.

HTH

Michele

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 10

thanks for your imput everyone. I am not doing a toss up between try out "the cake bible: recipe or using Vanilla Butter Cake from The Mermaid Bakery, which i have tried before. I think im going to bake a tester tomorrow just incase.
thanks

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:09am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

It's pretty easy to make marble cake. Just remove about 1 cup of your vanilla recipe and mix in about 1/4 cup melted and cooled chocolate chips. After you have put the vanilla batter in the pan(s) pour the chocolate batter over the vanilla and then swirl with a butter knife.

I usually change her recipes by using buttermilk. I also add an additional 1/4 cup for each cup of liquid. Baking times will vary with your oven so keep a close eye on them. If you can smell them they are very close to being done.

HTH

Michele

Michele -

those changes, do they make it significantly more moist?

thanks!

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:21am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I have a copy of that book and I'm probably going to donate it to the local library. Every cake I've made from that book has come out dry and dense. She seriously has you over mix everything. I have much better luck with recipes from Epicurious and All Recipes.

Oh thank heavens, I thought it was just me! And her neo-classic buttercream? Yuck! Who wants frosting that tastes like a stick of butter! I tried it because I thought regular buttercream is too sweet. Well, it wasn't sweet, but we threw out half the cake.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:30pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

HTH

Michele

Michele -

those changes, do they make it significantly more moist?

thanks!

It has for me. I also replace 1 tsp. of baking powder with 1/2 tsp. baking soda to counteract the tartness of the buttermilk. My cakes are moist enough that my family doesn't want frosting.

Michele

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 10

thanks Michele! I'll give that a shot. I tried the original recipe last week and it was just too dry for me.

wtmifm167 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wtmifm167 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:23pm
post #10 of 10

I've made a few recipes from the Cake Bible. The two problems I have found are the scarcity of the ingrediants (still can't find Tobler Narcisse for the White Chocolate Buttercream recipe) and the difficulty degree.
I made the cake pictured just like the one in the photos of the book but made a few substitutions - and the result was less than perfect.
I couldn't find the Tobler Narcisse so I used Ghiradelli and the texture felt like little soft beads were in the icing. She doesn't give you substitution suggestions so you're on your own to research and ask questions.
The cake recipe was followed precisely and was a little dry.
The candied flowers she suggested were substituted with Royal Icing flowers to achieve a similar effect.

It was about $40 in ingredients when I finished. (The chocolate alone was nearly $20 and the Chambord miniatures were almost $10.)
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%