Kitchenaid Pro 600 Problems?

Decorating By polliwawg Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 1:52pm by debs08

polliwawg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
polliwawg Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 23

I just bought the Kitchenaid Pro, and when I started it up it seems way louder than my 4.5 qt and seems to whine . I have never heard one so I am not sure if something is wrong or not....wondering if it is supposed to sound like that or not?

22 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 23

Well, it will be louder as it has a larger motor in it. As for the whining, that's odd, mine's never done that.

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 23

I too just upgraded to the Pro 600 from my older 4.5 quart and yes, it sounds exactly like you're explaining.

stacyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyd Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 23

This is completely off topic but...Angela M- I LOVE your avatar! Love Jax!

polliwawg Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 23

I knew it would be a little louder, but I guess I didn't expect it to be that loud. I had a 4.5 qt and have used the commercial size hobarts, but this sound was a little different.
Thanks for the help!

luv2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake4u Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 23

Hi,
Mine is louder as well,,,,I sure can't seem to get my sugarshack frosting right in it,,,I'm using it just for making cakes until I can figure that out. My frosting turns out perfect in my 4.5 qt. I'm still glad I have it though,,got a pretty good x-mas sale on it.. icon_smile.gif

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 23

It's takes a bit of getting used to the louder noise, I too thought something was wrong with it, but I talked with some friends who had one and found out it's normal. Enjoy! icon_cool.gif

AngelaM Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 23

Thanks Stacy! He sure is yummy isn't he?!

Ok so here's a dumb question from me: The bowl on the 600 IS supposed to bobble around, right?

polliwawg Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 23

I, too, was surprised to see that there is not the clip to hold the bowl....

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 10:59pm
post #10 of 23

Wait?!? What??? Mine has the clip! When did they stop putting that on? (Mine is 7 years old).

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 11:12pm
post #11 of 23

I do not think the bowl should wobble. I have started having trouble with mine, but I think it is the gear. Last month it was a fuse. I think I might need to replace. It is much louder sounding than the 4.5

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 11:15pm
post #12 of 23

I was given one last year with no instructions and it wobbled around. I posted for help here and found out that there is a small bump on the back of the bowl that snaps into a metal bracket on the stand. I would never have noticed it without someone tellng me! No more wobble. Maybe yours has this also?

AngelaM Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 12:18am
post #13 of 23

Liz you solved the mystery! Just found that tiny little bump on the back and now we're good!

Thanks!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:16am
post #14 of 23

Yes, it SCREAMS at you. And hopefully you'll be a lucky buyer who doesn't have problems. My gear completely went out after almost 3 yrs. Had it replaced about 4 months ago, it sounds WORSE & seems like it struggles MORE & I opened it the other day to find out----yes, the gear is already stripping (after 2 batches of RI, 1 batch of cookie dough & 1 batch of SS buttercream) I just purchased a Cuisinart 7 qt & hope it holds up better!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:00pm
post #15 of 23

The noise is a bit alarming and takes a little getting used to. I think it sounds like a helicopter taking off in my kitchen. icon_lol.gif

asanchez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asanchez Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:10am
post #16 of 23

J gave my 4.5. Quart to my daughter in law because I wanted to buy a 6 quart. Now I am worried. Does tthe smaller one work better?

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:18pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by asanchez

J gave my 4.5. Quart to my daughter in law because I wanted to buy a 6 quart. Now I am worried. Does tthe smaller one work better?

Oh no, I really like my 600, and LOVE the capacity - it's just much noisier than I expected.

asanchez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asanchez Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:30pm
post #18 of 23

Thanks!!! I will go ahead and purchase one

debs08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debs08 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:48pm
post #19 of 23

I have Professional 5 Plus kitchen Aid I love it but its so loud you can't hear anything when its running. It has been loud sense day one. Does any one else have this problem

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:09pm
post #20 of 23

yep. they're loud. but I think that's just how they are

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 5:36am
post #21 of 23

I had nothing but problems with mine. In 18 months, Kitchen Aid replaced it 6 times and finally bought it back from me for retail cost. I took that money and bought a Waring and have had no problems with it. LOVE IT!!! Hope yours doesn't give you any trouble, but if it does, don't hesitate to call. KA customer service is really great, I have to admit!
Lori

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 6:16am
post #22 of 23

I have a 610 and it IS louder than my smaller one. There are times when the bowl moves around so much that it seems like it will just off and that freaks me out a bit. I just hold in place and deal with it. I still have my small one though, just in case!

debs08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debs08 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:52pm
post #23 of 23

Thanks for all the response its good to know, will keep my fingeers crossed it doesn't get any louder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%