3 D Train Cake - Pound Cake Or Cake Mix?

Decorating By Dawn1975 Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 3:49pm by TexasSugar

Dawn1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawn1975 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 10

I am making the 3 d train cake for my godsons 2nd birthday. It says to use pound cake or firm batter. Does anyone know if it has to be poundcake or will cake mix work??

Thanks

9 replies
anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 10

Pound cake is much firmer and will keep its shape after baked.
Are you using a train pan or are you carving it?
For carving it would definitely have to be pound or madeira cake... For the train pan option it would be advisable for what I said before...
Hope it helps!

Dawn1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawn1975 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:25am
post #3 of 10

Thanks a bunch. I think I will try the pound cake.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:34am
post #4 of 10

I just made a 3d train cake for my nephew last august. I used the wasc recipe and it was great. Wasc is made from a box mix and tastes fantastic.

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 10

I've made 2 train cakes and used wasc both times. It was firm and just right for any carving. Be sure to slightly freeze before carving. It makes it so easy.

reebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reebee Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 10

I've used regular cake mixes for the Wilton 3D train pan set...and it's always turned out fine.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 10

WASC is your best bet - it is delicious too! I use the basic recipe for any flavor, just use whatever flavor box mix you want and it is great!

megmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megmarie Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 10

I helped make my nephews train cake with his mother. She isn't a great baker so she made boxed yellow - it was a horrible mess. If you are following the video off of that DIY site (http://www.howdini.com/howdini-video-7074034.html) you will need the pound cake to carve the engine part of the train, the rest could be made of WASC no problem! HTH & good luck!

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:52pm
post #9 of 10

I've made way too many train cakes. Wasc does work great. Pound cake works better. Wasc allows for great carving and you can add some accents. Pound allows for much heavier accents, if you're inclined to add them. I may have a Thomas cake in my photos and he has a royal smokestack - it was HEAVY and it stayed!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:49pm
post #10 of 10

I just used the Wilton 3d train this weekend and plain jane cake mix for it, and it worked great. I even covered it in Fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%