Health Department Plan Review

Business By CakesGoneSweet Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 4:09pm by danaintx

CakesGoneSweet Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 9

Has anyone had a problem passing their plan review with the Health Department with Swiss Meringue Buttercream on the menu?

8 replies
MJoycake Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 9

Hmmm....I just submitted all of my paperwork to the Food Safety folks last week with Swiss Meringue buttercream as one of my recipes. It shouldn't be a problem as long as the process flow states that the eggs get up to 160 degrees (safe temp) or that you use pasturized eggs. There are plenty of bakeries working with Swiss Meringue out there.

danaintx Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 9

I am starting this process as well, I am not going to do Swiss Meringue buttercream because we will only have an oven, not a stove right now, but I was wondering about cream cheese frosting - if you have to keep it in a refrigerated display case. Any insight on that one?

Good luck, hope it goes smoothly!

CakesGoneSweet Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:22am
post #4 of 9

The kitchen I will be working out of does not have a stove top either due to the expense of putting in the sprinkler system required. We are checking on possibly being able to use an electric burner in the space. If we can do that I will add my Swiss Meringue buttercream to the plan write up. Keeping fingers crossed for everyone (especially myself lol)

danaintx Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 11:47am
post #5 of 9

That is great idea! I had not even considered that one. Good luck, let us know the outcome.

CakesGoneSweet Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:41am
post #6 of 9

Passed with flying colors! I love our inspector he is so nice!

danaintx Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:44am
post #7 of 9

Congratulations, that is awesome! I just got my packet it here and I am working on the same thing here in Texas. That has got to be a huge relief, yeah for you!

CakeForte Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:50am
post #8 of 9

Texas is on my last nerve. I have to move my bathroom now because of a "new rule" that customers have to have access to the bathroom even though it's not a retail kitchen. I told them to show me that rule in writing with a reference number. Haven't seen it yet!

danaintx Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:09pm
post #9 of 9

CakeForte that is so frustrating!! The space we have leased was a former coffee house, so all of the bathrooms and finish work have been complete which has helped immensely, but there are still so many surprises. I am in the Fort Worth area and I have been lucky to have a very helpful inspector, but I still don't understand some of the "must" and "must nots"....they make no sense!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%