"fluffy Delight" What Is This, Does It Help?

Decorating By denetteb Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 1:05am by denetteb

denetteb Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 11

A cake supply store I was just at has a baggie of a white powder called Fluffy Delight made by Standlees, it is $5.99 for 8 oz. You just add a couple tablespoons to a batch of buttercream. The clerk said it makes her shortening based buttercream taste less greasy and grainy. Their website says it improves the consistency and is easier to spread. Has anyone used it? I haven't read a word about it on CC so am wondering about it. Thanks

10 replies
Mike1394 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 11

You can buy a prime Black Angus beef brisket for less. That stuff is expensive. Never heard of it.

LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 11

Or you can buy high-ratio shortening for $7.99 for 3 lbs.=48 ozs. from f o n d a n t s o u r c e . com and many other suppliers and get the same results. And I've never heard of it either.

Mensch Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 11

Dang. I doubt I would even want to eat something called 'fluffy delight'.

brincess_b Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 11

sounds kinda like glorified dream whip (like you'd use in indydebis recipe)
what is actually in it?
it is pricey (although in theory, would last a while), but if your feeling flush, maybe it will make a difference?

denetteb Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 11

Yeah, If it was a little cheaper I may have bought it just to check it out. Meringue powder works out to be about a dollar an oz, so this is cheaper. The 8 oz bag would make a lot of frosting since there were a lot of tablespoons in it cause it is a very light and fluffy powder. I was wondering if it was a non-Wilton meringue powder but then figured it would be called that, if that is what it was. I was curious since I hadn't heard of it and I do spend too much time loitering on CC.

prterrell Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 11

No, it wouldn't be a meringue powder. I don't use Wilton brand meringue powder, I use CK brand and it's still called meringue powder.

My guess would be that it's a blend of emulsifiers. That's basically what Dream Whip is (well, plus thickeners, when you blend it with milk, it emulsifies and thickens it, causing it be able to whip like heavy cream).

denetteb Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 11

The label at the cake place in MN I was at didn't say the ingred. Standlee that carries (makes it?) it is a cake, candy, cookie supply place in Chula Vista, CA. I can't quite make out the ingred. on the photo on their website. I have emailed them asking for the ingred.

denetteb Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 11

The ingredients are corn starch, dextrose, polysorbate60. This means nothing to me though.....

matthewkyrankelly Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 11

cornstarch - thickener

dextrose - sugar

polysorbate60 - an emulsifier

it is probably like dream whip light

denetteb Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:05am
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%