Hardening Rkt

Decorating By Darthburn Updated 24 Jan 2010 , 9:34pm by ibmoser

Darthburn Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 4

Is there a way to make your RKT so they harden within a day after you sculpt them?

The first time I used them, they hardened nicely after about a day.
The second time I used them, after 3 days they were still too soft and wouldn't hold shape.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips, like overcooking the MM or adding corn syrup? Both times I've used them I added only MM and RK... no butter or anything.

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
CakeMommyTX Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 4

After the MM are melted I mix in some grated almond bark (or white chocolate), stir until it's melted and add rice crispies.
You have to work somewhat quickly,because the almond bark will harden fast.
But I do that when I need the RKT to harden quickly and hold it's shape.
I also coat them with melted bark as well, it smooths out the bumps.
HTH.

Darthburn Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 4

That is too cool! Thank you CakeMommy. How fast are we talking here... minutes or hour? If they harden before the sculpture is complete can I pop it back in the microwave to soften it back up? Im going to be doing this in sections so I don't know if I need to make small batches and add as I go or 1 giant batch and hope I get it molded in time.

Thank you, thank you!

ibmoser Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 4

This is a long thread, but please read slopokesgirl's saga on mixing RKT and candy clay.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=623004&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

I just tried this combo, and it is amazing! It is lighter than clay, molds and shapes beautifully, smooths out like a dream and holds its shape. I did crush my cereal before making the RKT to make it smoother and did not use butter in the RKT. The mixture firmed up within an hour, and the heat of your hands will allow reshaping almost immediately. Good stuff! I'm sure that adding the chopped candy melts to the RKT will give a firmer result, but the pliability of the candy clay is possibly better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%