Sorry...sps And Borders Question...

Decorating By vagostino Updated 24 Jan 2010 , 3:32pm by _Jamie_

vagostino Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 6

I tried the SPS for the first time yesterday and I ended up with a migraine.

First of all....all the pressure of the legs going on the cake makes me feel it's going to burst the cake...can that happen? It didn't happen to me this time but it makes me wonder.

Second....the board and SPS plate showed and I had to improvise a border that was not planned. How do you get the SPS plate not to show? Do you cut the dowels shorter than the cake so it can sink a little into the cake?

5 replies
leah_s Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 6

No, SPS will not burst the cake. It's completly safe. It puts less pressure on the cake, since the legs are hollow, the displaced cake goes inside the legs. Didn't you ever wonder what happens to all the cake displaced by multiple dowels?

I always use a border, as I like them. Or a ribbon. _Jamie_ can walk you thru SPS without a border.

vagostino Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 6

thanks Leah! I was thinking about PM you specifically for the question!

It's just that i had to push soo hard that i wandered....what if it burst the sides!!! It was scary. I've never used dowels, only tea straws before...and they are so thin that cut trough the cake easily...this legs are thicker so i could feel the pressure.

This particular cake was supposed to be borderless....I haven't heard from the customer yet but I feel the border ruin it. I really need an option for totally borderless, just in case.

The plate is always going to be above the cake it's sitting....I don't see any solution other than sinking it carefully into the cake, or decorating the cake on it somehow....but then how do you insert the legs underneath with the cake in it....

_Jamie_ Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 6

First, go read the SPS instructions again, it answers some of your last questions.

Borderless instructions:

You have your cake on the cardboard the same size as your cake (or little bigger/smaller whatever).

Next, you place it on another board that is slightly larger in diameter than the board your cake is on. 1/16th, 1/8th,1/4" whatever you want. Depends on how thick you want your frosting on the sides. I keep a stock of these in many sizes, cut from thin masonite so they don't wear out, and I can wipe them down after using. The pic doesn't look lined up perfectly, but it's a demo, so work with me. icon_biggrin.gif

So, You get these all put together, and you ice to the shape of this larger board. So your bench scraper is sitting flush to your turntable, and lined up against the edge of the largest board. Smooth, and take the whole thing, all boards and cake and put in the fridge for while to chill and firm up. I cannot imagine doing this without chilling. So just do it. Until it is very firm.

Take out of fridge. With a very thin spatula, razor blade, whatever, gently pry the cake off of that larger board. Working on the edge of a table or other surface is helpful here. Once it is free, there ya go.

Perfectly naked, no need for a border finish. Your cake and original board are now inside of your icing line, and you don't need to cover anything up. were rough, I'm rearranging studio this weekend and rough cut all of those boards for this picture.

vagostino Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks! that will solve the cardboard showing....but how do you keep The SPS plate showing? The thickness of the plastic plate is above the cake, since it's sitting on can still see it...
Do you just push it in a lot? (are your tiers a little taller than exaclty 4?)

_Jamie_ Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 6

I cut foam core for that first cardboard, by tracing the SPS plate first, peg side down, so it also makes the hole perfectly centered as well. Two birds/one stone kinda thing.icon_smile.gif . So, after I am finished with the steps above, My cake is larger than that plate. So you can't see it. At all. I don't do a lot of borderless cakes, so thankfully I don't have to do these steps often. And I am usually about 4 & 1/4 inches tall once I finish icing, so yep, the plates are dang near into the icing below it. Almost. It comes out pretty flush.

Quote by @%username% on %date%