Modeling Chocolate..... Can't Get It Right

Baking By SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 5:55pm by 2sweetcookies

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:39am
post #1 of 8

I've tried the chocolate melted mixed with corn syrup sever times, and it NEVER works! It always gets really hard. I tried bakers chocolate once and it crumbled. Anyone know what in the world I'm doing wrong?

7 replies
SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:53am
post #2 of 8

It actually is supposed to get hard - then you work it with your hands and that softens it again. What recipe are you using? You should try working it piece by piece in your hands and see if that makes it better.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 8:04am
post #3 of 8

White Chocolate Modeling Paste:
7 ounces (200 grams) white chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
Is the recipe I used.
Thanks for the reply... I'll try again... I just kept trying and it was always hard as a rock lol...
Thanks!

Bull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bull Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:54am
post #4 of 8

Has anyone ever tried using peanut butter melts rather than chocolate to make the clay? The melts seem a little softer than the chocolate, and I'm wondering if I should use less corn syrup. Thanks, Opal

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:09am
post #5 of 8

I used Toba's recipe. I tried to make white with candymelts and it crumbled miserably. No flowers on my DD communion cake as result. Sometimes the melts are old too. You could try to add some of that waxy stuff....can't think of the name...... I will have to go look.... I had to order it though...

Jemoiselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jemoiselle Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:32am
post #6 of 8

Hi there!

I wonder if you are overheating the chocolate? How do you melt it? Also, I know think the ratio of corn syrup to chocolate will be different for candy melts, being that they are not technically traditional chocolate. I used baker's bars yesterday, made semi-sweet and white plastic, and they turned out just fine. I also know each type of chocolate brand will require a slightly different amount of corn syrup, and it might take come trial and error to figure it out.

My recipe is:
1 lb white chocolate
1/2 cup corn syrup

With baker's white chocolate, I had to add two extra ounces of chocolate to get the consistency right. It ended up getting way too oily at first, thus the extra two ounce addition.

With the semi-sweet plastic I used:
1 lb bakers semi-sweet chocolate
1/2 cup corn syrup

Next time I will add 2/3 cup like the original recipe recommends for dark. It was a little time consuming to warm up, but totally worked regardless. It was crumbly at first while I was kneading it to warm it up.

I hope this helps somewhat!
Jemoiselle

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:36am
post #7 of 8

try this.. i take a guys demo at ices convention... i love him.. his name is jing.. his recipe... 8 oz. white chocolate disk.(i use merkens or wilton).. 4 oz. of glucose...melt chocolate.. then add the glucose. stir to come together. let set up overnite.. or you can use in a few hrs. i usually let it set up over nite... this makes for a stronger dough he says.. use just a little color.. marblize it.. makes beautiful roses, etc.. he makes the most beautiful roses.. orchid,etc. at the convention.. if you go. remember his name. he isn,t always there. he was at chicago convention. he works in a big bakery there. he makes flowers all day long.. his demos are so funny and you learn so much..

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:55pm
post #8 of 8

does anyone have a "secret" to painting on the modeling chocolate? I have tried it several times but it's too greasy and doesn't stick, I have seen it done on cake shows so I know it's possible..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%