Have You Seen The Million Dollar Cake

Decorating By Smallfrye Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 2:28pm by cakesweetiecake

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:47am
post #1 of 47

I saw a clip on our news tonight (Q13 FOX in washington)for a Million dollar cake that is under guard at the Dallas Bridal Fair. Its a nine tier cake with 320 servings for 1 million dollars. I have been on line trying to find a picture of it to post for everyone and I can not find one yet. Its a beige color cake with black accents and it has diamonds all over it. I was just excited to see a cake with that kind of price tag. Maybe someone can find a picture of the cake or a link to the story.

46 replies
Smallfrye Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:54am
post #2 of 47

okay I found a link to one of the videos

http://cbs11tv.com/video/[email protected]

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:07am
post #3 of 47

wooooowie!

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:08am
post #4 of 47

Damn....I think I'm undercharging....

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:17am
post #5 of 47

I hope that's not an up and coming trend. I thought rhinestone bands on a cake were expensive enough!!!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:21am
post #6 of 47

that is stunning-and not just diamonds the cake itself.
cant even imagine having something like that. i bet some rich oil tycoon will order that for his daughters wedding.
think ill go watch it again and just drool.......... icon_razz.gif

Smallfrye Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:22am
post #7 of 47

well i think "fake diamonds" should be about half right? icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:28am
post #8 of 47

Wowza! Who pulls the diamonds off before it gets cut? Or do lucky wedding guests get a diamond? LOL

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:38am
post #9 of 47

Wow. It would even be gorgeous without the bling bling, but sparkle is good tooicon_smile.gif

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 8:40am
post #10 of 47

That cake is gorgeous! And not just because of the diamonds. I love the shapes and how clean it is with the hand painted scroll. So, it's a million dollars worth of jewelry on what could stand alone as an exquisite wedding cake.

I'm not into diamonds so the cake does it for me with or without 'em but it's good to see some excellent "cake press" and even better that the cake underneath the diamonds can stand alone.

My applause to that decorator!

Thanks for the link - that's a great story!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 47

All I know is that I would hate to be the one who's signed the liability papers for any lost diamonds. We hear stories where the sugar gems fall off...can't imagine trying to find any diamonds that might have fallen off. icon_eek.gif

cakeaddictunite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddictunite Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 4:40pm
post #12 of 47

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif WOW!!!!!!!!!! I so wanna be invited to the wedding that has a cake like that!!!! icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 4:52pm
post #13 of 47

That cake is pretty and all.....but it looks a little unrealistic.

Someone has to go and remove all those diamonds before it is cut. Kinda seems like a waste of time to me.

AND>>>>>they are not edible.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:29pm
post #14 of 47

Well at least they did an elegant design! I've seen overpriced cakes that ... well, nevermind... icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:38pm
post #15 of 47

WOW!!!!!
I bet this may set a trend for jewelers to loan out jewelry to the rich & famous for their wedding cakes just like @ the awards shows.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:38pm
post #16 of 47

I'll be in deep trouble working on that cake! For every dragee I put on a cake I loose 4 or 5!

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:46pm
post #17 of 47

I doubt anyone is eating that cake. If its at a bridal show it's probably just for show. It' might even be cake dummies. I agree though that cake is very pretty even without diamonds.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm
post #18 of 47

Hmm, I wish they would have said how much the cake would have costed WITHOUT the diamonds too icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:43pm
post #19 of 47

Is there a still photo of this cake?

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #20 of 47

it is a dummy cake and its says it $3000 a slice. Looks like it would serve alot more the 300 to me though. I may be the only one, but remove all the bling and the shape or design doesn't impress me. we can all cover a cake in fondant, and paint afew scrolls. JMHO.

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:52pm
post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

it is a dummy cake and its says it $3000 a slice. Looks like it would serve alot more the 300 to me though. I may be the only one, but remove all the bling and the shape or design doesn't impress me. we can all cover a cake in fondant, and paint afew scrolls. JMHO.

I thought he said it was $30/slice and would cost over $3000. Did I hear that wrong?

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:08pm
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

I thought he said it was $30/slice and would cost over $3000. Did I hear that wrong?

I just watched it again to make sure.. he said it would serve 320 comfortably, and would be roughly $3,030 a servings, which equals $969,600. That isn't even right though, because he said they had about $1.5 million in diamonds on it. He'd be shorting himself about $530k! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:13pm
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

I just watched it again to make sure.. he said it would serve 320 comfortably, and would be roughly $3,030 a servings, which equals $969,600. That isn't even right though, because he said they had about $1.5 million in diamonds on it. He'd be shorting himself about $530k! icon_biggrin.gif

Yep, I'm definitely UNDERcharging! icon_lol.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:20pm
post #24 of 47
Quote:

I agree. I like the shape, but it is a very simple cake.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:45pm
post #25 of 47

Hmmmm, I LOVE diamonds but....not on a cake!!! and I hope no one ends up eating a diamond LOL icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:46pm
post #26 of 47

That is just plumb crazy! I mean armored cars - security guards watching the cake artist. Wow!

libs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libs Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 12:30am
post #27 of 47

Hi there My name is Libby and I work at delicious cakes in southlake and I was the one who worked on the million dollar cake. It was for the texas bridal show here in dallas and i have pictures that i will post for you all to see how it progressed, if you have questions feel free to ask. But i will tell you a little bit now, the cake was made out of styrofoam, it was hand made so lots of cutting and sanding, the largest tier is 20" and the smallest 4", it did have real diamonds on it, the jewelery consisted of ear rings, bracelets, necklaces and rings as well as loose diamonds that i put on using tweezers. It came to over a million dollars worth with about 12 hundred carrots in total, and it took me about 38 hours from start to finish ...the scroll work is hand painted onto the fondant, erm thats about iit really, any more you wish to know just ask.... icon_wink.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 12:44am
post #28 of 47

It's so funny that some LOVE the cake even without the bling, and others think that it's a very PLAIN cake and wouldn't have chosen that for themselves. It just goes to show how different we all are, and how no "taste" is the right "taste".

Personally, though, I LOVE it. Simple and elegant and a complete *itch to cover up any mistakes! Well done!!!!

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 12:45am
post #29 of 47

I just keep seeing Owen Wilson in Marley & Me spraying the dog's poop trying to find the necklace.

libs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libs Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:18am
post #30 of 47

Here are a fewb photos of the cake in stages....and YES YOU ARE RIGHT IT IS VERY SIMPLE CAKE BUT I STILL PUT A ALOT OF WORK IN THIS CAKE, AND TIME icon_smile.gif
LL
LL
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%