Omg, The Best Instant Pudding Ever!

Baking By prterrell Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 3:06am by djs328

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:40am
post #1 of 15

Totally discovered this on accident!

Neither DH nor I drink milk (we both use rice or soy milk), but we do buy it from time to time for certain recipes.

I had a package of chocolate instant pudding mix in the cabinet and was really needing a chocolate fix, but we didn't have any milk.

We just so happened to have 2 12-oz cans of evaporated milk in the cupboard.

I figured, hey, that's exactly how much I need, it should work.

So I used the evaporated milk to make the pudding.

OMG! This is the best pudding ever! So thick and creamy! Much much better than made with fresh whole milk! I'm making pudding this way from now on.

As an added bonus, now all the ingredients I need for it are shelf-stable.

We don't eat pudding much, but now we can have all the ingredients on-hand.

Not sure if anyone else already knew this trick, but I just had to share.

14 replies
Beckup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckup Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:51am
post #2 of 15

Wow! That does sound yummy! thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:17am
post #3 of 15

I think in the 1940's and 50s and much earlier, they cooked with canned milk much of the time out of necessity, and so I think its great that you discovered something from your grandmothers pantry icon_smile.gif thats cool

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:27am
post #4 of 15

prterrell..i assume it is the large box of instant pudding.. with the 2 cans of milk.. yes, my mama always used canned milk.. she was a great cook..i want to try this.. sounds yummy

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 15

Yeah, it was a family sized box. If it were the 4-serving size, I would have only needed 1-1/3 cans, in which case I would have used 1 can and filled in the other 1/3 with the half-and-half we have around for coffee. Oooo. That makes me think. What would pudding made with all half-and-half be like? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 15

thanks prterrell.. that is exactly what i thought.. going to make it this week.. ha!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

That makes me think. What would pudding made with all half-and-half be like? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I was thinking the same thing (and drooling)!...
Never thought of using canned milk. Great idea!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I think in the 1940's and 50s and much earlier, they cooked with canned milk much of the time out of necessity, and so I think its great that you discovered something from your grandmothers pantry icon_smile.gif thats cool

Madge, I remember one of my Grandmas used it in most of her cooking (including cooked chocolate pudding from scratch.) She also used it in her coffee. I thought it was weird. But that's what she was used to.

madgeowens Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:20am
post #9 of 15

Yes my parents used it in their coffee and tea, and also for cooking.

madgeowens Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:21am
post #10 of 15

I am a little older and have to laugh because I used to use it all the time in my mashed potatoes, and then started using heavy cream or reg milk instead, I don't know why I stopped.

NoahLili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoahLili Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:25am
post #11 of 15

I mix condensed milk with pudding mix all the time. Try this for the yummiest cake filling: 2 boxes instant pudding mix mixed with 1 can condensed milk and 1/4-1/2 cup water. Fold in some cool whip or whipped Rich's bettercream!! My favorite is the white chocolate pudding! Everyone loves it!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:22am
post #12 of 15

I always use evaporated milk in my scratch banana pudding that was the recipe my aunt gave me years ago. I also use it when baking when out of milk.

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:40am
post #13 of 15

Try making the cook and serve vanilla pudding with the evaporated canned milk. It is absolutely wonderful and is even better when eaten warm. icon_biggrin.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:53am
post #14 of 15

I have to smile when I see everyone discovering canned milk. I'm dating myself when I say I have been using it since I was a child helping my mom in the kitchen. It is one of the staples in my cupboard and I love the flavor it gives to hot chocolate, puddings and a number of other things. I have loved it, even considering the 10 gallons daily of delicious, fresh milk I got from my own milk cow. (Believe me, with that much milk I had to take up cheese making. So it was not out of necessity that it remained on my shelves!)
NoahLili, I am looking forward to trying your recipe for filling. Surely does sound good.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:06am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

That makes me think. What would pudding made with all half-and-half be like? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I was thinking the same thing (and drooling)!...
Never thought of using canned milk. Great idea!

If you want something really rich....try mixing it with heavy cream! DECADENT! icon_smile.gif

I've actually made a sugar-free lemon pie for my diabetic grandmother...but she can still have the fat! LOL!! So I used heavy cream - it whipped up SOOO nicely! YUM! Great for cake filling, too! icon_wink.gif

Gotta try the evaporated milk trick! Great idea!!!

On our honeymoon in Aruba, they served the 'kahlua & cream' and white russians with evap. milk....don't even wanna know how many calories! LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%