Fondant~Help!!!

Decorating By cakeaddictunite Updated 24 Jan 2010 , 5:38pm by catlharper

cakeaddictunite Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 3:23am
post #1 of 10

tonight I made my first batch of MMF and it turned out ok~I used the KA to mix it and that part was easy enough,got it to the right consistency,greased it,wrapped it,put it in the fridge for 30 min.~now heres where I had issues~ I rolled it out on a greased surface and it was sticking to my rolling pin so i used some ps. finally got it the thickness I wanted.put it on the cake and it smoothed out pretty great except for a few places it looked like it had thin layers that was coming lose.is it to dry?? kinda hard to believe cause i did add more crisco when I was trying to roll it out.would love some info being I still have half a batch left to use. icon_cry.gif

9 replies
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 3:42am
post #2 of 10

Spray your cake with water before you put the fondant on, just a light mist.

Renaejrk Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 3:54am
post #3 of 10

those may be from when you were kneading - some "folds" got too much ps and it didn't incorporate so it kept a few little flaps from sticking back together.

catlharper Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 3:59am
post #4 of 10

Your MMF may not have set for long enough. When I was first taught how to make this last year I was told to smear it with crisco, wrap it in plastic wrap and then let it sit in the fridge overnight. And, yes, it can be frustrating to get that PS to crisco ratio right.

cakeaddictunite Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 4:05am
post #5 of 10

SassyCakes09 ... i did that before i put the MMF on
Renaejrk ...... that would be my guess
catlharper .......i will let it sit in the fridge tonight and try to roll it out tomorrow thumbs_up.gif

Win Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 4:56am
post #6 of 10

There is no need to put MMF in the fridge. Not sure what kind of recipe you have, but you should never have to chill it overnight. Just coat it in shortening, wrap it tightly, place it in a zipper bag and let sit about six to eight hours (ideally) before you use it. If you put it in the fridge, you are going to have to bring it back to room temp (which could be up to two hours) before you roll it out again and then it's going to have the same issues with sticking, etc.

Darthburn Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 10

After rolling it out on PS, did you fold it back and dust off some of the PS from the underside before applying it to the cake? If it's too thick, the PS will stick to the cake and create a non-stick barrier. Dust it, mist the cake as advised and then put the fondant on.

Also, when putting the MMF on the cake... you can stretch it too thin while trying to smooth it. Try not to pull down as you press it to the cake. Test the MMF before rolling it out, hold it up in the air with just your fingers and watch it stretch under its own weight. If it stretches and falls fast, you need more PS in your mixture. You want it to slowly fall out of your hand from stretching under its own weight. That way when you put it on the cake it has the same reaction and won't thin out or tear as it hangs or is smoothed.

HTH icon_smile.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 10

I always make mine at least the day before and wrap it tightly. It sits out on the counter. I always grease the counter and the rolling pin. The longer it sits after making the better experience I've had.

cakeaddictunite Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 10

thanks!!! I'm looking forward to using it today~hopefully with better results lol.Darthburn .......yes I dusted it and sprayed(lightly)the cakeit stuck just fine with no tears just the layers were in it icon_cry.gif

catlharper Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 10

When you do take it out of the fridge just pop it in the microwave for about 15 seconds at a time till it starts to feel softer then you can work with it. For some reason the fridge works better for me than the counter...I end up with less sugar crystals somehow. Maybe it's not the fridge but the extra time it sets up or the microwave rewarm up? Whatever it is, it works for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%