Attaching Fondant Shapes To Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By GGx1 Updated 24 Jan 2010 , 2:47am by cownsj

GGx1 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 2:12am
post #1 of 4

I read that you can use clear vanilla brushed on the fondant pcs and apply to the cake........my problem is that the pcs i was trying to attach were a dark navy blue, the vanilla made the blue color run???? any ideas?

3 replies
artscallion Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 2:22am
post #2 of 4

Not sure why people recommend vanilla...anyone know? I don't see the need for it. I only use vanilla to clean off PS or CS, or to make a paint out of luster or petal dusts, never as a glue. Sure it might work, but why the expense when water works just fine?

You don't need vanilla to stick fondant on fondant.

-If the fondant is fresh, plain water will work, just enough to dampen it is enough.
-If one surface is dry, you might need to rub one against the other so the water can soften the surfaces enough to stick.
-If both surfaces are dry, I use Tylose or Meringue podwer based glue (meaning mix a little of either with a enough water to make a glue.

Cakeonista Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 2:25am
post #3 of 4

Ditto artscalion

cownsj Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 2:47am
post #4 of 4

I remember when we were taking the Wilton classes and someone asked why we needed to use vanilla when it seemed that it was just the wetness of it we needed. Our instructor told us that water works just fine, the only reason to use vanilla instead is to give it a bit more flavor.

I don't think I've ever noticed the difference between using the two, but then again, I've never given it a thought on the rare occasion I eat a fondant covered cake.

After all this, yes you can just use water, and you don't need much of either. And if I have a piece like yours I dry off the brush a bit just dabbing from the middle outward making sure I don't have any more liquid on the fondant piece than absolutely necessary.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%