Adding Cake Decorating To Candy Store....need Help Please!!

Decorating By Leahchick Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 3:40pm by denetteb

Leahchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahchick Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 12:16am
post #1 of 2

Hello, I am new to this site, but have been decorating for about a year, I know Im kind of a newbieicon_smile.gif So my mother-in-law owns a candy shop where they make all their own candy. It is in an old mill building, and someone is opening up a reception/ballroom for weddings and such. My mother in law is interested in making cakes now, and has asked me to make them. I am all for it, but kind of feel a little over whelmed. I know I can pull it off, but dont really know where to start.
I have a few questions:
I am looking for a few good cake recipes, for cakes to offer. Do I just choose one to make, or order one from like a supplier, what do people usually do?
Also, I am looking for a good frosting and decorating white frosting that has a good consistency.
How do I go about getting pictures of cakes I can make? Do I make a bunch of "dummy cakes" that Ive found online and then take pics of them and make like a book for people to look at?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me! I really like decorating cakes, even though Ive only done a few, but I know that I can do it. Im just not as excited about the whole baking thing! lol

1 reply
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 2

Hi. Welcome to CC. I was looking through unanswered threads and saw yours. I do not have a business so can't help with most of your answers but do have a few suggestions. If you go to the "business forum" you will find a lot of threads that have questions and answers that will apply to you. For recipes you can go to the recipe forum and a lot of people will have the same questions and answers you are looking for. A lot of people swear by a mix, or an extended mix or all from scratch with premium ingredients. Everyone plays around with different recipes to see what they like. One thing I have learned by reading other threads is that there isn't one and only one fabulous recipe for anything. It depends on the persons skill, oven, measuring ability, ability follow directions and baking karma. I think for every recipe posted and most people loved, another person tried it and didn't think it was that great. I think most people avoid prebaked cakes based on threads I have read. For frosting there are meringue buttercream fans and indydebi and sugarshack have very popular buttercreams. As far as photos, I think a lot of people start baking for any occasion that comes there way as an excuse to make a cake they want in their portfolio and to gain practise. Sorry so long but hopes gives a start.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%