Need Help On Square-Round-Square-Round Wedding Cake

Decorating By cakesnbaytown Updated 24 Jan 2010 , 7:17pm by prterrell

cakesnbaytown Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 3

I have a bride requesting 4+ tiers, 150 - 180 servings, to save the top tier and the tiers to be (bottom to top) square, round, square, round. I've had only one other bride (who had fewer servings) ask for this combination of shapes and struggled immensely. Can someone help me out? I cannot come up with the right combination of sizes. As well, it's perplexing to determine the size of the square tier that will sit atop the round. It's an odd size for sure....thusly making this calculation even more difficult.

2 replies
sweetcakes Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 3

5" round cake top = 6 serving
8" sq cake = 32 serving (the diagonal on a 8" sq is nearly 12")
14" round cake - do a dummy tier or it is 78 serving
a 16" square base cake = 128
total servings using the 14" dummy is 166. or 234 doing it all in cake.
with this its important not to have the square cakes overhang the round cakes.

prterrell Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 3

Yup, because of the need to make the round tier that is between the two square tiers large enough to accommodate the square that sits atop it (thus making the bottom square very large), the only way to do this is to do as sweetcakes state above. Mixed shape cakes look cool, but it's much harder to make the cake close to the actual number of servings needed because of the relationship between circles and squares (a square is always longer on the diagonal than it is on a side, thus you have to use the diagonal as the size for the square when determining how big of a circle to set it on).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%