In Need Of A "show-Stopping" Ideas!!

Decorating By meganmoto Updated 24 Jan 2010 , 5:54pm by mommyle

meganmoto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganmoto Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 4

My youngest brother is part of his 8th grade class play in March. The show is "Fa Mulan"...not the Disney version though. Anyway, I am offering my theatrical experience and volunteering as Stage Director, Costume/Hair/Make-up Director...you get the point!! I want to make a "Show-Stopping" cake to bring to the cast party. This will be my first cake not being done for relative's birthday, and my 1st marketing/advertising opportunity!! I have the talent, and usually plenty of awesome ideas...just not right now, of course!

Basically, the theme of the play is honor for your family, your nation, yourself and your peers. The setting is in ancient China where the Huns are invading and each family must fulfill their duty and fight in the war. The students are creating the set, finding or making their own props, etc. so they are also really seeing what it takes to have a succuessful production.

Some vague themes is about all I can come up with!! Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated, no matter how crazy (I have a couple months to practice!).

Anything asian/chinese, drama/theater related, comedy/tragedy, ticket stubs, playbill/programs, dragons, honor, etc...

Thank you all for all the amazing ideas that I've used on other projects after finding them posted on CC!! I know someone out there will save me once again with this one!! LOL

3 replies
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 4

Do you cricut? use the pagoda cartridge to cut out all of your decorations.
Do you stencil? same idea. Get Chinese stencils and go to town.
Try making your cake in reds and golds.

good luck!

meganmoto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganmoto Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 9:00am
post #3 of 4

mommyle, thanks for the stencilling idea!! I've never had the opportunity to try out the cricut craze. It looks almost too good to be true on TV! Maybe I can justify purchasing a cricut if I can make the stencils work!! Lol!! The reds and golds are great too! I'm gonna see what colors the costumes are and tie them in somehow.

Embarrassingly enough, an obvious observation just came to mind. My fiancé, whom I've dated for over 11 years now, is of Asian Heritage!! My FIL is from Hawaii and was raised there by his parents, immigrants from JAPAN!! I think I have my inspiration icon_smile.gif. Now I just need a creative idea or two to get started!!

Thanks for making me realize I am practically a part of an Asian family already! Too funny!!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 4

HHAHAHAHAHAA!!!! You are too cute!

Good luck with this! I'm looking forward to the photos!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%