Need A Good Royal Icing To Make Flowers

Baking By Kandy4283 Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 3:52am by Kandy4283

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 11

hi, i just need a good recipe that will be thick enough for me to make flowers for a cake. i have tried several recipes and they all come out too runny...help please!!!

10 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 11

Get a can of CK brand meringue powder. (Available online at www.countrykitchensa.com) Follow recipe on can.

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 11

It seems I always have to add more powdered sugar than the recipe calls for. I also make sure I re-wash my tips with some white vinegar to make sure there isn't any grease in there that may break down the royal. And I usually use the parchment cones for the same reason.

Kandy4283 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:04am
post #4 of 11

i used the wilton merangue powder and the recipe on that and it worked great!!! thanks guys!!!! how long does it normally take to dry???

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:07am
post #5 of 11

Just some FYI (and if you know this already, I apologize in advance), but you don't have to make flowers from RI. I use BC for everything. Never use royal on anything cake. Never. Let BC flowers air dry (do not freeze ... AIR DRY!) overnight and they can practically be tossed across the room to the decorator to put on the cake! icon_biggrin.gif

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:26am
post #6 of 11

Ahhha, now, there's an image.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 8:50am
post #7 of 11

Debi, do you also make lilies with bc? Will the foil form release from them easily when they're dried?

loopilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopilu Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 11:07am
post #8 of 11

I use this RI recipe:

1 tbsp of meri white
45ml water
1/2 icing sugar (250g)

mix meri white and water together until dissolved. Add icing sugar gradually, and mix until stands up in soft peaks and is a bright white colur.

If you dont mix it enough it will have a yellowish tinge and wont be strong enough.

You probly will have to add a bit extra icing sugar, I allways do.

Lou

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 12:04pm
post #9 of 11

allow RI flowers a couple of days to dry out completely if you want to store them for future use. If not, you can usually use them fairly quickly. (when I have leftover RI from something, I make flowers and then store them away. When I need a quick decoration for a cookie, cupcake or cake, I just pull my box out of RI flowers and pick something. A real time saver.)

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 11

Definitely a time saver to make up ahead of time - don't forget the leaves too. I also make hearts with the left overs - a definite for Valentine's Day.

Kandy4283 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:52am
post #11 of 11

wow! I would rather use BC frosting over RI so I will have to give this a try! thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%