milkmaid42 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:39pm
post #1 of

Oh, my goodness! I have 3 hours to try to fix this. Two days ago I made a batch of mmf, successfully colored it black and wrapped it up to use today to cover a sculpted locomotive cake for my G.Daughter's party. While I usually use mff, which I love, my family isn't fond of fondant. So I thought I would try what everybody swears by: mmf. It seemed of good consistency, (I used the recipe with glycerine and corn syrup) so I felt quite confident it would be OK. (Maybe even good.)

Well, while kneading on a Crisco covered counter, it seemed too dry and was cracking. I kneaded in a little water. That made it somewhat better, or at least enough so I figured I would try. I rolled it out on a greased fondant mat and flipped it onto the cake. (I might add that the cake was prepared with a ganache base and to assure contact, I covered it with warmed piping gel.) While this has been good in the past, today it was a disaster. The fondant cracked all over and for a minute I tried to pinch and patch. I ended up scraping it off, (wouldn't you know it---it stuck TOO well and I just now finished.)

The ganache is a mess which I tried to repair with additional and smoothing with a hot knife. Now, after all this explanation (sorry for the length...I am unwinding as I type) I have a question: I have a small amount of black Satin Ice on hand. It is too small an amount to use here, but is it possible to knead it in with the reclaimed fondant, (plus a little piping gel) and maybe, just maybe recover?

I am just so glad that this isn't for a paying client but I don't want to do any less for family.
Thank you for whatever advice you can give me!

8 replies
Kitagrl Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:47pm
post #2 of

Try mixing it in without piping gel first....and see what you get...if you need it a little softer, try a little shortening maybe or even a bit of buttercream icing works (really! someone shared that with me once and it works!).

Good luck!

milkmaid42 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:56pm
post #3 of

The piping gel is unavoidable as it is what has so tightly adhered to the pulled off fondant. I might even have a bonus of a few cake crumbs. This is that much of a disaster. At any rate, I'm going to give it a try with mixing both and adding a little buttercream. So what is there to lose? Thanks.
(I guess this isn't the worst disaster I've had. I once shared a "dropped on the sidewalk" cake with friends. We just got our forks and ate the top part!)

Deb_ Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:36pm
post #4 of

I may be too late....

When it's dry/crumbly add Crisco and kneed. Also nuking it for about 10 seconds helps to soften it up too.

How are you doing now?

milkmaid42 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 2:20am
post #5 of

Thanks for your help in my time of desperation. I wasn't able to reclaim the fondant, even with your suggestions. I really think I will be sticking with MFF here on out. The second application failed almost as miserably as the first, even with nuking, kneading, "BCing" and adding in Satin Ice. I just ended up wasting expensive Satin Ice.
This definitely was not a cake for the portfolio as it ended up with bumpy ganache and no locomotive detail I had planned on. The only positive thing was a lesson learned and wait...it did taste delicious. With family happy, that was sufficient. Thanks.

Lcubed82 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:06am
post #6 of

Glad you were able to have fun! (Whispering here... after all, it is just cake!)

rosiecast Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:27pm
post #7 of

Sorry, but what's MFF? I've only heard of MMF.

Thanks and sorry for your cake disaster.

kiwigal81 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:36pm
post #8 of

Michele Fosters Fondant I think, (name right? ) meant to be quite delish from what I've read.

rosiecast Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:43pm
post #9 of

Duh! lol

Thanks Kiwigal. Yes, I've heard great things about her fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%