No No No No No

Decorating By Mensch Updated 24 Jan 2010 , 6:52pm by HarleyDee

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 53

It finally happened to me.

After eight years of decorating I've finally received a request for one of those awful WT wedding cakes with those grotesque plastic stairs and all those preposterous bridesmaids and groomsmen.

I need comfort and support.

52 replies
anotherslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anotherslice Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 53

(((((((((Mensch)))))))))

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 53

Just look at it as a chance to make a "retro" cake.

icon_smile.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 53

Remember, it's a paycheck, not your wedding cake!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 53

Sweep your hair up into a beehive, crank up the doo-wop music on your hi-fi, and get to it.

Cakenator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenator Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 53

I made one last year for a bride.... She was so thrilled about how it turned out. She called the next day and told me it was the exact cake she had been dreaming about since she was a little girl.

Not everyone has the same taste. Embrace the cheesy plastic stairs!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 53

((HUGS)) Please be sure to post a picture! I'm sure you will make it look super fab! icon_biggrin.gif

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 53

Any way to make it more modern but the looks she wants? Like a white gumpaste spiral staircase spiralling around the cake to the top?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:03pm
post #9 of 53

Actually, I refuse those. A girl's gotta have some standards.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:05pm
post #10 of 53

You don't have to add it to your portfolio - I certainly wouldn't *barf*. I would turn on the oven and think of the money though icon_wink.gif!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 53

Oh no, Mensch. Say it ain't so!!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:13pm
post #12 of 53

If you have the equipment, well then stay strong!

I don't, so I turn them down as well.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:28pm
post #13 of 53

Charge an "ugly cake I can't put in my portfolio" fee. Enjoy!

shaba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaba Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:51pm
post #14 of 53

I post very seldom but have been a member for years. I have seen so many people refuse to do what they consider ugly cakes and it is not right. We should be doing what our customers want unless it is against our moral standards. Everyone's tastes are not the same. I hate doing wedding cakes that are very plain with just ribbon trim around the bottom but I seem to keep doing them. It's what the bride wants. Everyone should just suck it up and keep our customers happy.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:03pm
post #15 of 53

Nope. I don't want to be know for that style of cake. No way, no how. There are things I won't do for money.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:07pm
post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaba

I hate doing wedding cakes that are very plain with just ribbon trim around the bottom but I seem to keep doing them. It's what the bride wants.

Oh man I so agree! I HATED doing those things! I felt like I was going brain dead and I could pull anyone in off of the street to make those for me! dunce.gif I consider those the "paint by numbers" of cakes! icon_lol.gif

But they paid the bills. The bride loved them. And they referred others brides to me because of it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:08pm
post #17 of 53

I like the ribbon ones because they are easy, and then they do look nice if the florist leaves flowers to put on top.

Its an easy quick way to make some cash.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:19pm
post #18 of 53
Quote:

I post very seldom but have been a member for years. I have seen so many people refuse to do what they consider ugly cakes and it is not right. We should be doing what our customers want unless it is against our moral standards. Everyone's tastes are not the same. I hate doing wedding cakes that are very plain with just ribbon trim around the bottom but I seem to keep doing them. It's what the bride wants. Everyone should just suck it up and keep our customers happy.

I agree. If the bride is happy, she'll refer her friends to you. If you say no, you'll be known as "the baker that only does the cakes she likes."

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:20pm
post #19 of 53
Quote:

It's not that their "ugly" cakes. It's cakes I don't do. That would mean I am not the baker for them and they are not the client for me. I bake from scratch, not a mix. There are people who prefer a boxed mix cake. That doesn't mean cause they are a customer, thats what I should make. it means, once again, I am not the baker for them and they are not the client for me. No, we should not be doing whatever somebody wants. We each have our own way of doing things and it is for a reason. For me, a marketing reason.

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:22pm
post #20 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Charge an "ugly cake I can't put in my portfolio" fee.

icon_lol.gif ((((Hugs)))) Mensch!

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:23pm
post #21 of 53

OK, I'm putting on my flak jacket before posting this.....

I like the old school cakes. When I get married, I know what i want for my cake. NO FONDANT! I want a 3-4 tier, with pillars, covered in American BC, with.....BC Swags!!!!!!!!! Yes, that's right, I want BC ruffled swags. And BC roses. No fountain, stairs or plastic attendants though. Like Leah_s said, a girl's got to have some standards. icon_biggrin.gif

However, I must bow to all of you who can make amazing wedding cakes in Fondant and BC. I will never match your level of artistry, and can only imagine being that good.

Edited: I found a picture of pretty much the cake I hope to have someday, without the cherub and bells, probably fresh flowers. No, I won't be making my own. But, my WMI would do a wonderful job on this, I believe! Found the picture on a website from Finland - please let me know if it's yours, and I'll add credit.
LL

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:43pm
post #22 of 53

I'ts all about the bride, no matter how tacky we feel it is. icon_wink.gif

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:55pm
post #23 of 53

During these times I don't feel we should be turning away cakes that are not our taste, after all if the bride is happy she will return and recommend you to others. If it means more work in the future surely its worth it to turn out the occassional cake that we wouldn't want ourselves.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:19pm
post #24 of 53

I had a bride call about the whole stairs and fountain thing.. I told her that she would have to purchase the equipment and the fountain which is costly. I did actually give her a list and cost on everything needed. I don't take orders for them specifically because 1. I don't have the equipment and wouldn't use it often. Waste of money for me to even purchase something I would never use. 2. Its not the kind of cake I want my business to reflect. If its the brides style then great.. that's her day, her cake. I want my work to reflect a more modern, contemporary feel.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #25 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndim

I'ts all about the bride, no matter how tacky we feel it is. icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Nope! It's all about the design I want to do! I have noooooo problem declining designs I don't want to do. Havent' suffered from it yet! icon_cool.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #26 of 53

The one question that I have when I get a request for something that I don't like is "Will the bride be happy?" If the answer is "Yes", then fine. I might not like it, but I know that I have some very different tastes. Some people look at what I like and say "How can you be so plain?" and others look at what I like and say "Wow, that is certainly out there!" I do know a couple of people who have "standards", but they don't have nearly as much fun as I do.

_Jamie_ Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:23pm
post #27 of 53

I just love the blanket "in these times/in this economy/take everything you can get" statements. Bah!

_Jamie_ Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:28pm
post #28 of 53

And as coarse as that may sound, this is really what I say to the dear sweet customer.

"I'm so sorry, but I don't offer designs like that. Would you be interested in a custom design for your reception?"

There. Sweet as pie. I have not met one person who sticks to their guns about the original theme. icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:33pm
post #29 of 53

Here's why I don't do the stairs/bridesmaids/groomsmen cakes.

When people at the reception ask "who made the cake" I don't want my name associated with that tacky (my opinion) cake.

Just like penis/hoohoo cakes, won't do them, don't want my name associated with ejaculation cakes....my opinion.

I would have no problem telling the bride that I don't offer that design, but I'd be happy to offer an alternative that would be even more beautiful then the one she originally chose.

So Mensch are you taking the order?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:46pm
post #30 of 53

Auntmamie, I love that cake! It's what I grew up seeing, and even though I totally adore fondant and modern designs, I'm not turning down customers who want that style of cake for two reasons: first, it strengthens my piping skills, and secondly, this style of cake WILL come back.

All of these decorators brought up in the Era of Fondant are gonna have some learning to do when buttercream - particularly the Lambeth style of decorating - comes back.

And mark my words, it will.

I have my personal limits...for example, I don't do genital cakes because that's just gross on my moral compass, but classic 70's and 80's designs incorporating stairs and fountains? Hellz yeah.

Thumbs up to all the snobs who can afford to turn away business just because YOU don't like the cake. Sometimes brides tend to forget that it's not about her, it's about the cake designer. LOL ImageImage

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%