What Are You Serving At Your Super Bowl Party?

Lounge By prterrell Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 6:01pm by lilacc01

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 10:35am
post #1 of 14

Still working on my menu. I, as usual, have too many ideas and need to pare down. Will post later.

13 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 14

I'm anxious to hear your menu, you always have some great ideas.

Superbowl......ahhhhhhh. Well, since my team The Patriot's and my DH's team The Cowboys are both out of it, I've decided to make a real nice "pity party" dinner for just my DH and I.

Beef Wellington is the main course, now I just need some ideas for appetizer, sides and dessert.

prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

I'm anxious to hear your menu, you always have some great ideas.

Superbowl......ahhhhhhh. Well, since my team The Patriot's and my DH's team The Cowboys are both out of it, I've decided to make a real nice "pity party" dinner for just my DH and I.

Beef Wellington is the main course, now I just need some ideas for appetizer, sides and dessert.

Aw...shucks, thanks! icon_redface.gif

LOL, I don't even know who's playing! Yes, I am one of those who 1) Watches the Super Bowl for the commercials and 2) uses it as an excuse to have a party. icon_biggrin.gif

As for what to serve with the Beef Wellington...
appetizers
+ baked brie (this is my favorite recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Phyllo-Wrapped-Brie-with-Apricot-and-Rosemary-Chutney-1173)
+ bruschetta with fresh mozzarella
+ roasted mixed vegetable stuffed phyllo purses
+ smoked salmon canapes (pumpernickel rounds with herb-garlic Aloutte and smoked salmon, garnish with minced red onion and snipped chives, shaved mini cucumber twist and parsley leaf, capers and lemon zest)
+ shrimp and crab claw meat cocktail
sides
+ roasted pepper and tomato soup with creme fraiche
+ salad of mesclun and baby spinach with orange supremes, pomegranate seeds, shaved red onion, chevre, and chopped toasted pecans with blood orange vinaigrette
+ Garlic mashed parsnips and potatoes with beef gravy
+ Mixed aliums (garlic, shallots, onion, and leeks), wild mushroom and gruyere gratin
+ steamed Haricots verte and baby asparagus sauteed with crisp pancetta OR steamd Brussels sprouts in hot bacon dressing
+ roasted fennel bulb with Parmigiano-Reggiano
dessert
+ poached pears: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Poached-Pears-with-Marsala-Cinnamon-and-Vanilla-107173

prterrell Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:03am
post #4 of 14

Okay, here's my full-list of brain-stormed ideas. Now comes the hard part, paring it down to an actual menu. icon_cool.gif For recipes, see Epicurious.com. Of course, these items can be used for any party. Cheers! thumbs_up.gif

FANCY B ITES
phyllo purses stuffed with roasted veggies (zucchini, red bell pepper, onion, fennel) sundried tomato paste, cream cheese, and parmigiano-reggiano
quail eggs roasted in pancetta cups
sausage cheese balls
Thai spring rolls
Shrimp and crab claw meat cocktails
Scotch eggs
Mini quiches: Lorraine (ham, bacon, gruyere and havarti), mushroom and fontina, southwestern (salsa, green chiles, corn, shredded Mexican cheese mix)
Mini 5-cheese mac n cheese blanco (made with white cheddar, fontina, gruyere, havarti and parmiggiano-reggiano) -- bake in mini muffin tin
Smoked salmon canapés (pumpernickel round, garlic-herb Aloutte, smoked salmon, top with minced red onion and snipped chives, cucumber twist and parsley leaf, capers and lemon zest)
Mini crab cakes with aioli
Gougères
Cheese soufflé stuffed cherry tomatoes
Crostini topped with fresh mozzarella, basil or arugula, tomato, and olive tapenade
Acorn and butternut squash filled pierogi w/ creme fraiche
Latkes with sour cream and applesauce
Makizushi (tuna, yellowtail, red snapper, salmon, California Roll, Philly roll) with wasabi, soy sauce, and nari
lamb meatballs with mint-yogurt sauce
loaded potato skins (cheddar cheese, bacon crumbles, sour cream, chives)

DIPS
seafood (salmon, crab, shrimp, scallops) with crostini
spinach artichoke with parmigiano-reggiano flatbread
queso, salsa, and guacamole OR layered Mexican dip with tortilla chips
hummus, baba ganouj, and muhammara with pita bread
French onion with potato chips

GRILLED
chicken wings: original Buffalo, honey barbecue, honey mustard, honey chipotle, honey balsamic, sweet and sour, sesame, lemon pepper, mango chutney, plum-chile, cherry-ancho, Thai peanut, herbs de Provence, curried yogurt

ribs: Kansas City and Memphis Style

beer simmered Bratwurst, Knockwurst, and Bockwurst with sauerkraut and German mustard

bacon-wrapped shrimp and scallops glazed with balsamic honey-mustard bbq sauce

FRIED
Beer-battered onion rings
French fried potatoes, yuka, and sweet potatoes
Okra
Calamari
Crab Ragoon
Egg Rolls
Battered cod nuggets
Hushpuppies
Sweet potato fritters
Rosemary and fresh cracked black pepper redskin potato chips

SANDWICHES
hot roast beef on potato rolls with red onion, horseradish cream or Dijon mustard

classic Italian hoagie: genoa and dry salamis, pepperoni, spicey cappocolo, prosciutto cotto, mortadella, provolone, lettuce, arugula, basil, tomato, onion, sweet bell peppers, pepperocini, olives, vinaigrette, mayonnaise, and mustard on a soft sub roll

muffuletta: cappocolo, salami, mortadella, emmentaller, provolone, and olive salad on Italian roll

deluxe veal and pork meatball with tomato sauce, onions, sweet peppers, mushrooms, provolone, and mozzarella on a soft sub roll

roast turkey wrap with cranberry mustard, bleu cheese, shaved red onion, and mesclun

traditional reuben: corned beef, sauerkraut, Gruyere, and Russian dressing on marbled rye

Jamaican jerk-pork taco with Jicama-Granny Smith apple slaw on soft corn tortilla

PLATES
Cheese grits and shrimp with bacon and chopped green onions

Steam-roasted duck with chard cooked in its fat and wild mushroom and mixed alium risotto.

Deconstructed burger salad (burger broken into large chunks on a bed of lettuce, with Dijon-aioli, relish of tomato, onion and pickle, shredded Swiss and Cheddar cheeses, and sourdough croutons)

Broiled salmon with citrus yogurt sauce, tropical fruit salsa, and coconut rice.

Deconstructed chicken cordon bleu (breaded chicken nuggets, cubed ham, asparagus spears chopped into 1 segments, with Swiss cheese sauce) and polenta cakes or rice pilaf

Chili and corn chip pie with shredded cheddar, sour cream, and chopped green onions.

FRUIT & VEG
fruit & cheese platter:
fruits - sliced apples (Granny Smith & Honeycrisp or Ambrosia), large red & green grapes, strawberries, cherries, sliced Bosc pears, orange segments, dried apricots
cheeses - Brie or St. Andre, Comte, Roquefort, Camembert, Chevre, Emmentaler, Havarti with carroway
crackers - water crackers, whole wheat crackers, sesame crackers
additional accompaniments: apricot jam, cherry jam, mixed nuts, pate/duck mousse

assorted fruits with honey yogurt sauce

hot veggies: pancetta-wrapped asparagus, stuffed mushrooms, sesame green beans, edamame

crudités: cucumber chips, radish chips, carrots sticks, celery sticks, red and yellow bell pepper strips, diakon strips, broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, blanched snow peas, blanched green and wax beans, blanched asparagus.
ranch and bleu cheese dips

relish tray: assorted olives, included stuffed varieties, and pickled vegetables

DESSERT
Assorted chocolate-dipped football-shaped cruffles (with laces piped in white chocolate)

Cookie sandwiches: chocolate chip with vanilla buttercream, peanut butter with fudge, ginger with lemon curd, lemon with raspberry buttercream, oatmeal raisin with apple butter

Mini mock cheesecakes with fruit topping

BEVERAGES
Sweet tea
Lemon-limeade
Sodas
Beer
Margaritas
Half-time High balls: 1 oz bourbon, 1/2 oz Cointreau, 1/2 oz Limoncello, 1/2 oz lemon juice, 1/2 oz orange juice, 1/2 tsp ginger pulp (available in a tube in the produce section), 1 tbsp honey: stir until honey is dissolved, pour over ice in an 8 oz high ball glass and add gingerale; garnish with a slice of orange and a slice of crystilized ginger.

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:08am
post #5 of 14

Um, can I be invited to your Super Bowl party? All of that sound delicious!!

Deb_ Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:57am
post #6 of 14

I so wish I lived in Atlanta prterrell.....you and I would be best buddies, I absolutely love to cook and of course EAT!!

How many people are you having at your party? That's a LOT of food!

prterrell Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:20am
post #7 of 14

LOL icon_lol.gif that's just my brain-storming. I haven't pared it down to a reasonable menu yet. I've invited 14 adults (plus me and hubby) and 7 kids. I'm not serving everything that's on that list, but I figured I might as well post the whole list as a resource of ideas for everyone!

Deb_ You HAVE to come to Atlanta sometime. The hard part will be choosing between eating out at all the fabulous restaurants here and me showing off by cooking for you. Nicholas Lodge is here in ATL, maybe you could come take some classes and we could hang?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:36am
post #8 of 14

a little Colt stew....

icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:45pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

a little Colt stew....

icon_smile.gif

LOL!! As a Pat's fan the Colts are our nemesis.....I'm counting on you guys
to beat them for me!

I'm very happy for New Orleans....the Saints have had a great season!

mama_amy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama_amy Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 14

It is just going to be my husband, the kids, and myself. I am not getting elaborate with the menu.

7-Layer Dip
Hummus
Some other type of dip
Chips
Crackers
Pizza
Dessert Pizza

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:28pm
post #11 of 14

Those are going to be some VERY well fed people at the party...buttons will be popping by half time. I'm not so far from Atlanta, I'll have to watch for Nicholas Lodge classes.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:49pm
post #12 of 14

Man after reading those menus my meal sounds pretty pathetic.lol I'm just having my sisters and their family over. We will likely do something easy like chicken paprika, nukedli(spetsle?), cucumber salad, lots of fresh bread..then of course the regular stuff like cold shrimp, chips, chili dip etc.. I don't want to be slaving over a hot stove all day.

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:33pm
post #13 of 14

We're doing a whole pig on the rotisserie, cornbread dressing, potato salad, veggies, homemad rolls,and King Cake for our meal. Before hand, we'll have crab dip, sausage bread, seven layer dip, little smokies wrapped in crescent rolls and chips.

Gotta have a lot of food, lots of family, and the pig takes a long time to cook!

GEAUX SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHO DAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:01pm
post #14 of 14

We are smoking a brisket, frying shrimp and grilling sausages and burgers here in Metry, brah!

In addition I am making cheese straws and soft pretzels for snacks and I know friends will be bringing 7 layer dip, shrimp molds, hogs head cheese and the like.

For dessert I am doing oatmeal raisin cookies, brown butter cherry bars, chess squares and choc chip blondies (maybe with peanut butter too...hmmm). We will of course have a black and gold king cake as well!

WHO DAT!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%