Yippee, My Request For My First Tiered Cake

Decorating By sugarlicious Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 5:44am by indydebi

sugarlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlicious Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:24am
post #1 of 8

I just had my first request for a 3 tier cake icon_biggrin.gif A friend asked me to make her this cake for her parents 50th wedding anniversary for the 6th of Feb. She wants 3 tier chocolate cake iced with white buttercream to serve 120 people with no decorations on the cake, she will supply ribbons to go around the tiers and topper ( I would have loved to decorate it, maybe next one ) now my question is, what size cake pans, round, do I need to make 3 tiers for 120 people? Also she said she asked another lady how much to make this cake and the lady said $75 and friend said that was too much, I thought that was pretty good price to serve 120 people.

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:35am
post #2 of 8

6/10/14

It would be $390 from me before delivery charge.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:38am
post #3 of 8

Holy cr.....ok. Well, 75$ is ridiculously low. That would get a cake to serve 12 from me. icon_sad.gif Yikes. Check out the Wilton website, they have the chart Leah pulled those numbers from and lots of other useful info.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:40am
post #4 of 8

that's 63 cents a serving for dessert. SERIOUSLY?

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:48am
post #5 of 8

Is it possible you friend was not being honest? you should sais something like you know you should tell her to do it instead.

I know, I know shes a friend but maybe she trying to get the best of you and thats not coo.

sugarlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlicious Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:03am
post #6 of 8

Yes, now when I think about it that is pretty low cost of that cake, but I am just starting to learn about pricing, I have just made cakes as gifts for family and friends before and my cakes are not perfect cakes like the wonderful decorators here, I am still learning and need more practise, which I was looking forward to doing this cake for. But I want to at least get the cost of making the cake for this one. She said she done a 3 tier round cake herself for her 25th wedding anniversary and it took 3 box cake mixes, I think her pans must have been pretty small because I know the favorite coconut cake I make for my hubby takes a box and half in just my 8 inch pan.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:19am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

3 tier round cake herself for her 25th wedding anniversary and it took 3 box cake mixes, I

that is highly unlikely!!..

If your not worried about making any money, and are just looking to cover the costs, then go to the sotre, and write out everything you will need, and give her that.

Please do not do it for $75....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:44am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

Quote:
Quote:

3 tier round cake herself for her 25th wedding anniversary and it took 3 box cake mixes, I

that is highly unlikely!!..

The (now obsolete) wilton mini tier set would use 2 cake mixes for a 3-tier (2 layers per tier) cake, so if it was a teeny 3-tier cake that serves like 25, it MIGHT be possible.

sugarlicious, here is the wilton wedding chart that will help you determine servings for your future cakes: http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

Here's how you cut a cake to achieve those servings: http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html

Here's photos of those cut pieces of cake so you can see that "one inch" is not "paper thin": http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%