John Deere Tractor

Decorating By JNElliott Updated 30 Jan 2010 , 11:27pm by JNElliott

JNElliott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JNElliott Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:24am
post #1 of 19

How do I make a John Deere tractor with fondant. I've never done anything like this before and I need some serious help. I want to make an awesome John Deere cake for my son's third birthday which is coming up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

18 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:08am
post #2 of 19

Hi and Wecome to CC, JNElliott. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

The above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

You've not provided enough information to help with you with John Deere cake with any specificity...

Wilton tractor cake pan with decorating ideas:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=2105-2063

Tutorial on using a shaped pan to apply MMF to same:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-611152-.html

Tractor cakes from CC photo galleries:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=tractor&album=-&search_user=

If you see something you like in the galleries, and need help - just post again with a link to the cake you like.

HTH

JNElliott Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 19

Thank you for your help JanH!! I am very new to this and have no idea what I am doing!! lol.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 19

My soon-to-be five year old is a huge John Deere fan, so I'll be figuring it out in March sometime!

JNElliott Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 19

The following link is one that I think would be a lot easier for me to do for the first time instead of trying to actually do a (i guess you would call it) 3-D tractor.??
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1265366.html
If anyone has any helpful tips I would greatly appreciate them!!!

I'm not real clear on the size of the cakes or even how much fondant I need or even when to add color!! I guess I'm not really sure on anything. lol.

What flavor cake is good, can I make the layers different colors?? Like green and yellow, if so how??
With this being my first cake would it be easier to make them square layers or leave them round??
Exactly what does it look like this person used for the clouds?? Marshmellows??

Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 19

Here is one I did last year for a grooms cake. It really wasn't too difficult. I used the Wilton train pan. Its an old pan so you have to look around. You just cut the front off and shape it a bit and you have a tractor. This one was covered in fondant. I used leaf green in the Wilton color gel. The bottom cake was buttercream and it has graham crackers for the dirt. Look in the forum section.. I believe there was a thread on this awhile back.
LL

JNElliott Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 19

Thanks tarhill!! That is a good looking cake!!

JNElliott Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 19

my bad tarheel!! lol.

tarheelgirl Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 10:26pm
post #9 of 19

No problem! icon_biggrin.gif Check out all the John Deere tractors in the gallery. I got inspiration from those.

sgregory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgregory Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 19

hey! I think you're the one I talked to at the book store the other day! here is the tractor that i made.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1500138

If you need anything, just message me!

JNElliott Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 9:32pm
post #11 of 19

haha I am the one you talked to!! That is a pretty awesome cake!!! The people are great!! I am going to get started on my son's cake this week b/c his party is saturday. I think for my first one I'm going to attempt to do the one that I have posted around here somewhere. I have a full time job and I don't get home until late so I think that one would be easier. lol. I believe I am going to make the mm fondant Wednesday b/c I've seen where people have said that it needs to set for a couple of days. Think I'm going to take friday off to have the whole day to do the cake!! Thanks for ur help and keep checking ur messages. lol. I may need you!!

sgregory Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 11:35pm
post #12 of 19

haha that sounds good! the fondant would be fine to work with even after 1 day...it just needs time to cool!

but I get on here everyday (more than once) so I'll be willing to help! haha

JNElliott Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 12:44am
post #13 of 19

How many people do you think that cake (the one I mentioned in one of my posts) would feed?? What Size pans do I need?? How much fondant would I need?? Does anybody know a really good marble cake recipe?? I'm so full of questions and don't know the answers!! HELP!!! lol!! icon_confused.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:48am
post #14 of 19

The 2 tier cake you posted above? Just depends on how many servings you need. I normally do a 8/6" or 10/8". I use the Wilton serving chart.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

To cover a small cake 8/6" it takes me about 1 batch of MMF.

JNElliott Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 2:32am
post #15 of 19

Thank you tarheel!! That website is very helpful!! I'm trying to figure out the marble cake!! LOL!!

sgregory Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:54pm
post #16 of 19

with marbeling... you just put down a layer of vanilla mix, then put in a little bit of chocolate (what ever flavors you want) and slightly mix/swirl them together and bake!

JNElliott Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:08am
post #17 of 19

Thank you!!! icon_smile.gif

JNElliott Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:11pm
post #18 of 19

Well I made my cake last night!!! It turned out ok for my very first one!! I will post a pic. as soon as I get a chance to!! THANK YOU to each and everyone of you who helped me out and the great websites and advice that y'all gave me!!!!! icon_smile.gif

JNElliott Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:27pm
post #19 of 19

Well I made my cake last night!!! It turned out ok for my very first one!! I will post a pic. as soon as I get a chance to!! THANK YOU to each and everyone of you who helped me out and the great websites and advice that y'all gave me!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%