Jello Fondant

Decorating By agconner Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 9:14am by corpsequeen

agconner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agconner Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 9

Has anyone used the recipe for jello fondant from CC. I made some today and it was soo dry that I could not do anything with it. Has anyone had this problem, and maybe a solution for this problem? I added a little more shorting but that did not help.

8 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 9

I also had the same problem. To salvage some of it I mixed a bit of the jello fondant with a lot or regular fondant just to get it workable. I ended up with a much lighter version of my origonal colour.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 12:32am
post #3 of 9

Are you guys talking about the Michele Foster's Fondant, because I am in the process of making some right now, My mixture is cooling.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 12:37am
post #4 of 9

No, jello fondant.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:14am
post #5 of 9

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3413/sophiebelles-jello-fondant
The recipe says the glycerin makes it stretchier, did you use it?

agconner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agconner Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:07am
post #6 of 9

I did use it, I even added a little more then it said after the fact to try and save it. I ended up running out of time to try and work with it and using some other fondant that I had, but I did pack it up so when I have time I can try to use it again before just throwing it out.

JennyLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennyLu Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 2:23am
post #7 of 9

so i wanted to see if i could save some $$... even if i mixed this in a 1:1 ratio with satin ice. just trying to cut costs a little while having a useable, well colored, yet still yummy fondant.

i made a berry-blue batch tonight. waaaay dry. wouldn't come together hand mixing. just a big bowl of blue crumbs. so i threw it into my 6qt KA and added 1 1/2 cups of shortening and some more glycerine and some corn syrup. finally came together, but it's still too crumbly. even after sitting.

i think there was just too much powdered sugar. 4 lbs was a lot.

next time, i'll start with the mixer right off the bat and only 2 lb of sugar... then add as needed.

i just hope i can still salvage this batch... tight budget. and a shame to waste all that sugar!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 2:36am
post #8 of 9

I have a awful time making fondant, I love the texture of wiltons but won't eat that stuff. I'm using the MMF now but I can't get the feel that I like the stretch? Any idea folks? I want a nice texture with no cracks. It's either too soft and like has no stretch. Or too dry and it cracks.

corpsequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corpsequeen Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:14am
post #9 of 9

I have a great jello fondant recipe from one of my cake decorating books. Hasn't failed me yet! I'll try to post it for those interested next time I can get to a computer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%