How Long Do I Need To Wait...

Baking By chefdot Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 1:19pm by GeminiRJ

chefdot Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 9

How long do I need to let glaze of one color set up on a cookie before I do another color, whether its' black or not?
New to this whole cookie thing so any pointers would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
misabel99 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 1:12am
post #2 of 9

20 min is fine what I do is that i put one color to all the cookies and by the time that I finish the last cookie the first one is dry out already so I can apply the next color. HTH thumbs_up.gif

chefdot Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 1:45am
post #3 of 9

awesome! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Ursula40 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 1:49am
post #4 of 9

If you live in a very humid area, wait longer, trust me, I found out the hard way

chefjulie Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 1:57am
post #5 of 9

Wait, are you using a GLAZE (ie: Toba's Glace- corn syrup based) or Royal Icing (ie Antonia's- meringue based). If you're using Royal, then yes 20 minutes (or more if you're in a humid environment) is fine. HOWEVER, if you're using a glace, then you need to wait more like 8-12 hours!! It takes waaaaay longer to set up!!!

chefdot Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:42am
post #6 of 9

well crap! I am using the Glace one and don't have that much time... ugh! I will figure it out. Thanks guys! BTW... no humidity here tonight... raining like crazy! lol

GeminiRJ Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 9

I only use glaze. I pretty much do what misabel99 does. I've rarely had a problem with the colors bleeding, especially when you add brite white to the icing before dividing it and coloring. I try to work with the colors first that don't touch another color, and I prefer to work lightest to darkest. Good luck!

chefdot Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 9

gemini, what recipe glaze do you use then?

GeminiRJ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:19pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdot

gemini, what recipe glaze do you use then?

I've been playing with the recipe a bit, as I've started adding extracts. This is what I'm using:

3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3 Tablespoons skimmilk (you can use other type milk, or water)
3 Tablespoons corn syrup
1/2 tsp. clear vanilla or almond
15 drops brite white food color (I use Americolor)

Mix together the first four ingredients until fully combined. Add the brite white and mix. You want the icing to be the consistency of white school glue, so adjust it at this time. For thinner icing, add more corn syrup, and for thicker icing, add more powdered sugar. Divide and color.

Note: I'm finding that if I add more cornsyrup than milk, the icing has a better finish when it dries. I stay pretty close to the recipe, but have started to play with this more. If you stay with the proportions, you can mix up as little, or as much, icing as you need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%