A Few Fondant Questions.

Baking By angel012086 Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 10:23pm by angel012086

angel012086 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 7

My daughters have a birthday next month and I am planning to make their cake. I've done a lot of decorating with buttercream, but I have never done fondant and that is what I am hoping to do.

I am wondering if anyone can suggest an easy to make and work with, good tasting fondant recipe. The cake is for little girls, so it has to taste good because they won't be happy if it only looks good...lol.

My other question is what kind of cake I can use. I usually am lazy and make cake mix cakes. Would that hold up to fondant or will the fondant be too heavy for it? If it isn't ideal, can anyone suggest a good recipe?

Their birthday isn't for a couple of weeks but I'd like to do a test run to make sure I can actually do it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

6 replies
JanH Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:25am
post #2 of 7

Hi and Welcome to CC, angel012086. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

The above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

The MMF recipes in the above link are relatively easy to make and work with... And yes, a cake mix will hold up to fondant, but you might like to try the WASC cake.

HTH

greengyrl26 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:41am
post #3 of 7

I think you'll find that Wilton is the easiest to work with, but tastes horrid. Satin Ice is slightly more difficult to work with, but is very tasty. In my experience, kids love the fondant. Adults...some yes, some no! Try Satin Ice. Global Sugar Art has really good prices on it thru January. Right now, I can buy it from them, pay shipping and its still a lot cheaper than I can buy it locally! Good luck!

angel012086 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for your help!

prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 7

Heck, all the kids in my family even loved the Wilton stuff! As long as it's sugar, most kids will eat it! icon_lol.gif

aggiechef Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 7

I've just discovered marshmallow fondant and I absolutely love it. I used T's Marshmallow Fondant recipe from this site. I agree with what greengyrl26 said about Wilton and Satin Ice. There's also Chocopan white chocolate fondant, which is my other favorite. MMF is just easier have because you don't have to order it. icon_smile.gif

Welcome to CC, too. This website is very addicting.

BTW - never be ashamed of making your cakes from boxed mixes. Everyone has their own way of doing things, and it's best to be proud of the end product. I also recommend trying the WASC recipe that was mentioned.

Have fun with the cake and be sure to post pics for us to see. icon_smile.gif

angel012086 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 7

I am honestly a little scared of fondant, so I decided to stick with buttercream for the birthday cakes and when I try the fondant to do it when it's not an occasion cake, so if I do end up doing a terrible job, at least I don't have to put it on display for all the family...lol.

I did a test run of the 2 cakes that I plan to do...I actually only did 1 cake, it was half one girl's cake and half the other...The techniques worked quite well, although the cake was interesting to look at...lol.

I will post the finished products before the party!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%