Edible Printing And Airbrushing

Decorating By marszz2 Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 4:13pm by icingimages

marszz2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marszz2 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 4

I'm wanting to purchase a printer to do the edible ink and also wanting to purchase a air brush kit --- I was just wanting some advice on where or what kind of quality and what to look for in these products, thank you !!!

3 replies
Brookbourque Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookbourque Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 4

I would also love to know more about that, like does it have to be a certaing kind of printer??

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 1:45am
post #3 of 4

I like Cannon ip3500 because you can take the head off and clean it in case of clog. I know that many people like the Epson brand there is lots of post here about printers and airbrushes.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=658959&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 4

Hi:
Here is some info I placed on previous posts that should help you: A few things to consider. Make sure you do not over purchase. Obviously you have a computer cause you are on CC So, the need for an all in one should only be considered if you dont have a scanner or if you are low on space. If you have a scanner and space is not an issue, then you want only an edible printer. Again, you dont want to spend your money on redundant equipment. It is always best to use your system with a computer, both an all in one and a printer can be connected to your computer. If attached to your computer, you are your only limitiation to the images you can produce. Keep in mind that this is an"output" process only. You can print anything once you get it in to your computer. Its just like printing regular pictures except you are using a printer that uses edible ink and edible paper.

Next consideration...Canon vs. Epsons. Canons have been around the longest in edible printing. It is choosen by the manufacturers because it has a removable printhead which can be cleaned if it gets clogged. If it ever gets an unbeatable clog, you can replace that part without replacing the entire system. Epsons cannot do this. You will find that people love and hate both systems, but remember people use it differently and can take care of it differently and have different suppliers of ink and paper which will all yeild different results. So...this is a good start but keep in mind the love/hate relationships are only as good as the ink and how often the person prints.

So now what???? Listen to the CC people to help stear you in the right direction then interview companies who will supply you. First consideration is Quailty, service and reliability. You can have a company who has awesome ink, but when you call them they do not know what they are talking about, or they give you poor service...likewise you can have a company who gives you awesome service, but their products are horrible! You need both. After people from CC give you their advice on companies, call the companies. Talk to them. What is your gut reaction. Ask for samples of their printed work. It is best to supply your own picture since anything can look good if it is not comparied to the original. How fast to they ship to you and how long does it take to get to you? Once you get the sample, look at the icing sheet. Do you like it and if you dont, do they have other types of icing sheets. How does it taste? Does the company offer the icing sheets in sizes that suite your needs? Inks....how vibrant are the colors. Nothing will be exact, but you can get extremely close in colors. How vibrant are the inks. Regarding clogs, every edible ink will clog. It is the nature of the ink since the chemicals that you need to put in to it to prevent clogging are not edible. How hard are the clogs to remove.

Price...you will find most of us are within a few dollars from us. This is a small part of it actually because the cost per print is what you want to look at. Do not ask the company for the cost per print as everyon will determine that differently. Figure it out for yourself. Take the cost of the ink cartridge, divide it by the number of prints per set (This will vary on usage so try and get an average if you can) once you get this figure ad the cost per icing sheet and this will be your cost per print. You will see that most of us companies are within pennies. So find out the ease of refilling. Refilling is what saves you the most money on your ink but your icing sheet cost will stay fixed. But even though you will see close similairties, I wanted to be sure that you can see for yourself the variation.

If you shop this way, you will be happy. Edible printing is soooo much fun. The sky is the limit. Every day someone comes up with other ideas to use an edible printer. So enjoy and have fun.

If you are interested I can tell you about my company, but my reason for answering this was to help you in your search, not necessarily sway you to one company or another. I have over 10 years of experience working with these edible printing personally and I have helped people make the decision that was right for them. Always know whatever you choose, if you have questions no matter what company you choose, I will be glad to assist you in any way I can.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%