Petit Four Pricing

Decorating By Mom_Of_4 Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 11:12pm by Mom_Of_4

Mom_Of_4 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 13

I have searched for a thread on petit four pricing but just can't seem to find anything on it. I have an order for 50-60 and I was thinking I would charge $2.00 a cake, but am thinking with all of the work I will have to put into them maybe this isn't enough? Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated!

12 replies
Tellis12 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 13

I had this some question this week. I only charge $1.90 per fondant serving (I know, I know, it's too low!) and since I'd be using less cake than I would for a regular serving of cake I decided I'd only charge $2 for each cake. I'm undecided what kind of fondant I'm going to use, poured or rolled. If I do decide on rolled works better I will probably give her a higher price if she wants that instead of poured, because it costs me more.

Deb_ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 13

What size will they be? Will they be decorated? Are you filling them? and Are you covering them in fondant or a poured icing?

All of these things will effect my pricing.

leah_s Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 13

I always answer - $5892034957391024873 each. May I make you one?

Seriously, no one could talk me into that order in the first place, but easily in the $3-$6 each range, depending on decoration.

Mom_Of_4 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 13

I was wondering about a poured icing as well. That really seems the easiest way to go, but I do not have a recipe for a poured icing...would you mind sharing one with me? The decorating is very simple, she just wants some polka dots on them. For me it isn't really the price of the ingredients, because I can figure that, but the time it is going to take me to decorate them. Thank you so much on all of your feedback and hopefully one of you will be able to give me a recipe for a poured frosting.

xkfayex Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 13

i did an order of 2 dozen petit fours about 2 months ago.. and it was a little daunting since it was my first time. but i charged the lady $2 each.

i did not use marzipan tho. so i exempted that from the ingredients as well as the filling.. because of allergies she only wanted cake with glaze. (i used the cake journal petitfours [url] [/url] but substituted the pound cake for vanilla cake)[/url]

Tellis12 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:26am
post #7 of 13

I had found some a particularly good thread about petit fours, which gave a couple of poured fondant recipes people used but now i can't find it. I'm supposed to meet with the bride soon and I want to try some to work out all of the little details before hand. I think I'll just make mine with two, maybe three layers of thin cake. I think you're supposed to do more than that but that sounds intimidating! And somewhere I read that you shouldn't use dark colored fillings because they can leak out or show on the sides.

prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:30am
post #8 of 13

So, you've never made petit fours before? Do NOT take the order until you've done a trial run! Petit fours are a major PITA. They sound simple enough, but I've yet to make a batch that hasn't ended up in the trash (tasted fine, looked like a toddler had been allowed to play with the cake and icing). I've never made it to the decorating part as I'm still trying to master covering them. Also, poured icing is the only way to go. I cannot imagine trying to cover a 1 - 2 inch square piece of cake with rolled fondant.

KoryAK Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:23am
post #9 of 13

I charge $2.50 per with minimal decoration. That are 1" cubes. I use a poured icing recipe and then freeze and dip with the toothpick/cooling grid method. Really fast once you get going.

Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:36am
post #10 of 13

They take forever with rolled fondant. They look great when they're done and taste great too, but they just take too long.

I've never had any luck covering them with poured fondant though.

Mom_Of_4 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 13

Well I talked to the lady this weekend and she said she can get them from a bakery in the metroplex for $1 a cake! I told her I can't do them for that price. That is crazy the amount of time 50-60 would take and they are only charging a dollar per cake. No way I would do that!

CeeTee Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:04pm
post #12 of 13

My guess is for $1 per cake that the bakery in question does not make their own but purchases them from a supplier. The only times I've ever seen petit fours for less than $3 ea is when they are from bulk wholesalers or Hickory Farms style catalogs which have all their petit fours stamped out on assembly lines. Well, she'll get what she pays for.

And you dodged a bullet. pterrell is right, if you've never made them before, don't take a paying customer!! They are a bugbear to make!

Mom_Of_4 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 11:12pm
post #13 of 13

I am thinking you are right! I am so glad I didn't take the order. I don't have time to sit and decorate 60 individual cakes like that! Not sure what I was thinking by even considering it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%