Smbc To Much Air?

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 12:58pm by kileyscakes

kileyscakes Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 11

I just made some smbc and when I am piping swirls on my cupcake I just see little holes all over it and I don't like the way it looks its not smooth at all. Is there any way to make is so there is not so much air incorporated?
or is this normal?
Thanks

10 replies
Darthburn Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 11

I did a cake where the same thing happened to me. It's in my gallery, should have been in cake-disaster but I just didn't know any better and actually tried to convince myself it looked ... well, ok.

Anyway.... My BC was too thick I believe. The next time I piped BC I thinned it with a little milk and that way wi all compacted well in the bag and flowed more smoothly with light pressure.

Maybe that might help you. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 11

I always let it mix on low for a while before I use it.

kileyscakes Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 11

I thought mine might have been to thick too so I might try and use a little milk too next time. I thought of that but I just wanted to get done so I didn't. It seemed better to pipe when I switched to a 1m tip too, before I was using those huge ateco tips and I would get those puffs of air while I was making my swirl driving me crazy. The 1m swirl looked so much better!!

_Jamie_ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

Always.

FromScratch Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:01am
post #6 of 11

I wouldn't put milk in SMBC... it wont ruin it, but it won't add anything to it, and it won't thin it out. Adding liquid to SMBC doesn't thin it like adding liquid to a powdered sugar based BC does. I usually just warm it up and let it mix on low... that gets the bubbles out.

KoryAK Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:19am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Quote:

Always.

Always. And use a paddle, bowl filled allll the way up.

icer101 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:33am
post #8 of 11

kileyscakes... it sounds like you maybe beat it too long.. i have done that when i first started.. and it will be really airy..learned to not beat it to fast or too long.. it is really smooth if you don,t do this. hth

_Jamie_ Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:56am
post #9 of 11

If you follow the suggestions about beating slowly afterwards it will probably do the trick. It is naturally airy whether you beat too long or not. But knowing how to back it out of the icing before frosting is key.

julzs71 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:41am
post #10 of 11
Quote:

ditto...with a paddle

kileyscakes Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 12:58pm
post #11 of 11

so after adding the butter just wait for the change when it gets curdled and then to frosting and then just stop mixing? While I add the butter should I have it on low and then just keep it on low. I know to use the paddle attatchment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%