Dipping A Monkey Ear?

Decorating By jlh Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 10:08pm by sadsmile

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making standard sized cupcakes. Monkey faces. For ears, I was thinking of dipping a mini nilla wafer in chocolate. I want that two-toned look...the darker chocolate on the rim of the outer ear, while keeping the original color of the nilla wafer for the inner ear. I will cut the wafer...maybe not quite in half...but cut it at one third/two third mark...discarding the small piece and keeping the the larger piece. Any ideas on how you could dip the cookie to get the outer ring of chocolate in a "C" shape, and have it look uniform and smooth? I haven't tried yet...so maybe it's easier than I think? Just brainstorming for later tonight when I attempt. Thanks.

8 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 9

don't trim it until after you dip it. You'll have more to hold onto when you dip.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 9

Before you make that your 'go to' plan, have you tried cutting them? I can't seem to do it without the whole cookie crushing! Ugh. If you can, more power to you!!

If it does work, what about applying the chocolate with a piping bag instead of dipping? You would have more control over where it went. You could sort of draw a line around the edge, letting it drip down to cover the side.

Edited for a typo! icon_redface.gif

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 9

Can you jab a toothpick in the center and dip the edge in the chocolate and then turn it like a wheel?

Or it may be harder, but cut them and hold them with tweezers (round shape down, and roll a 'C' motion around the outside edge.

Just off the top of my head.

I was first going to say that you have to hold his head really tight otherwise he'll bite you.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 9

I had to click in to figure out what this was about. I thought maybe a monkey ear was a pastry like an elephant ear. But no.

psbartlett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psbartlett Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 9

i saw a tutorial once were they used the lg. choc. coins and then put lighter colored fondant in the center to make the two-toned look.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 9

I would try laying the whole wafer flat as you dip to where the outsides get dipped but the rounded top part stays out of the chocolate.

That's not very clear...hmm....like when you dip a buckeye candy....you just stick it straight down in the chocolate until its not quite covered and take it out.

Same thing with the wafer...press it gently into the chocolate but not all the way, then lift back out with a dipping fork.

Then cut off however much you want off to make the flat part of the ear.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 9

Oh, man! I was hoping someone was actually making one of my monkey-butt-earwax cakes! icon_cry.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 9

I would rub one edge down a cheese grater and then use rubber salad tongs or super large craft tweezers to hold the cookies while dipping.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%