Thinking Of Entering A Competition...thoughts?

Decorating By Tellis12 Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 1:31pm by cylstrial

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 14

There is a cake decorating competition coming up soon and I was thinking about entering. I've never done any kind of contest or even a really fancy cake but I thought it might be fun.

I was just wondering if any of you have any thoughts, suggestions or tips for me, like where to start, what to not do, ect. Thanks!

13 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 14

Hi, Tellis 12, I am entering my first "real" competition soon, too. The Colorado ICES chapter has their show over Valetine's day weekend. There is a thread here called Competiton Hints (I don't know how to attach the link, sorry) that was REALLY helpful.

I have entered a cake in my state fair but that wasn't really a serious competition. I don't sell cakes so I think competitions would be a fun way to stretch my creativity and skills. I am just a couple of hours of instruction and 3 months of experience beyond being able to enter as a beginner so I have to enter as an intermediate decorator even though I don't feel "intermediate". icon_smile.gif

I looked at your pictures and your cakes are really nice so that's certainly not an issue!

Good luck!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 14
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 14

I also found that if you look at different cake show websites, their judging criteria might also clue you in on what to do. Here's another site:

http://www.earlenescakes.com/cakeshowhints.htm

MarlaQuack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarlaQuack Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 14

Hi Tellis,

Where and when is the competition?

Thanks,
Marla

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 14

Metria, that's it! Thank you!

Tellis12 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:14am
post #7 of 14

That hints post is awesome! I had no idea it was here. Thanks for the help. Good luck Elcee. Come back and let me know how it went.

Maria, I see you're in the Queen City as well. I'm planning to enter the Queen City Cake and Sugar Show. Have you done it?

MarlaQuack Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:08pm
post #8 of 14

Tellis,

I've not entered the Queen City cake show, but am delighted to know when It is. I will probably come see it. I've yet to make it to a meeting with the group because I lead a Girl Scout troop every Tuesday night.

Blessings,
Marla

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:44pm
post #9 of 14

I know quite a few of the members of Queen City - and they are all really nice ladies! (and they are very helpful too) I attended the show last year, and I am thinking of entering it this year too - maybe we will see each other there. icon_smile.gif
I used to have a paper on competition cakes, I will see if I can find it. It was a presentation that Christine Clark did at ICES. (she has won a ton of competitions with her cakes).

MarlaQuack Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:52pm
post #10 of 14

Yea Loucinda! If you come you MUST let me know when you will be here so I can meet up with you again.

Marla

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:54pm
post #11 of 14

I also participated in the Queen City cake competition last year. It was really good! There were lots of entries and the ladies were awesome! I really want to enter it again this year - but we are even farther away from it this year than we were last year. So I'm not sure that I'll be able to. I guess I need to make up my mind soon though.

But to the OP - yes you should enter! It will help you learn more about cake decorating and you will get to see so many other cakes!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:44pm
post #12 of 14

Tellis - you definately should enter (sorry I got a little off track with my last post) I can't find that paper I had that has the hints. I remember the cake drum was important, making sure it matched the cake and was the proper size.

Marla - if I go, I will let you know for sure. icon_smile.gif

Tellis12 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:17pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks for the support. It's nice to know how many of you in the QC are here on CC. I think I'm def. going to do it. Now I just have to figure out my design. That sounds like the difficult part!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:31pm
post #14 of 14

http://www.queencitycakeclub.com/cake_show/2010_cake_show/2010_forms.pdf

Pg 5 has the tips and guidelines about the board being the same shape, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%