Has Anyone Baked, Frozen And Flown With Cakes?

Decorating By kathik Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 12:13am by KitchenKat

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 5

I am traveling to make a large cake soon, and I was wondering about baking ahead, freezing the cakes and then checking them with baggage. Can I do this? The flight is only an hour and a half.

Thanks,
Kathi

4 replies
Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 5

I have taken a cake on the plane with me and and it went under the seat in front of me and it did well. I didn't check it in with my suitecase. If you are doing that you might want to have it in a container that is sealed tight and make sure there is no room for the cake to bounce around. You might have a crack or two. I didn't ice my cake till I got there. Hope this helps

Sue

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 3:56am
post #3 of 5

Thanks Sue. I think I'll just bake there.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 5

I baked the layers for my son's 3 tiered wedding cake, froze them, boxed them, and put them in carry on luggage.
They flew from Cleveland to Las Vegas.

I then constructed and decorated the cake in a condo on the LV strip over a 2 day period using the 50 lbs. of tools and ingredients that I'd checked as luggage. It worked beautifully.

Rae
LL

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 12:13am
post #5 of 5

I've done it both ways - carry on and hand luggage. I made a 12, 9, 6 wedding cake for my cousin. I hand carried the frozen 12" & the 9". I placed the 6" layers in a tupperware box and placed them in my checked baggage. The cakes survived the 6+ hours flying time and 3+ hours layover in very good condition.

Did I mention I also flew with 150 decorated sugar cookies (checked baggage) and my 6 year old son? A lot of hassle but sooooo worth it icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%