Mmf Cracking

Baking By Acdogs Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 2:14pm by CatherineRoy

Acdogs Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 7

I tried to make mmf 16oz marshmellows 4tbls water and 2 pounds ps, I think it may be to dry it is cracking when i roll it out. Is there somthing I can do to it to save it? Should I just start over? Thank you

6 replies
caseyhayes Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 7

I'd coat my hands with shortening and knead it in really good.

Dolledupcakes Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 7

I use the same recipe.. same happened to me.
Try adding light corn syrup. It works really well.

caseyhayes Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 7

Just thought I'd add a little thought to this. I have been making MMF for a year and I wanted to try the satin ice everyone loves but I hate shipping costs. Sooo, I came back to CC and looked up Michelle Fosters Fondant and tried it. Oh my, it's wonderful! Little bit more involved but fantastic. Try it, I don't think you'll regret it. The gelatin and glycerin in the recipe is what kept me from trying it until now. But it tastes awesome! Everyone that has tried it loves it! Where I live fondant is not popular but I hope to change that!

Acdogs Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you all for your help. I am going to try all ideas... maybe the different fondent later on this week.

dsilvest Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 12:06am
post #6 of 7

If you make it again don't add all of the powdered sugar while making it. Leave some out and see if it is really needed after the fondant has had a chance to rest. You may just need to knead in a bit of shortening if the fondant is a bit sticky rather than all of the reserved ps
There are several factors that determine how much ps is needed.
1. Temperature of marshmallow mixture - too hot - you think you need more ps and it ends up dry after it cools down.
2. Humidity - high humidity and you may need more ps
3. PS - has it been sifted - If it isn't you will need less ps

CatherineRoy Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 7

My greatest discovery when using MMF-If you have a stove with a flat surface (ceramic cooktop), preheat your oven to 400, lay your mat on top. Turn the stove off after it reaches 400, and back on again when the fondant begins to dry out or stick to the rolling pin. Coat the mat/hands with a thin layer of shortening & keep rolling pin surface clean. If any MMF sticks to the pin, stop & clean or it will rip up the surface of your fondant. Use a dough hook to mix the fondant & to color, especially when making black or brown. Store fondant in ziplocks with all air removed. Fondant that is not currently being used, but will be used this cake, can sit on the surface of the stove(ziplocked), or kept on a plate in the warm (turned off) oven for a few minutes to remain workable. Use a long, flat spreader to slide between mat and fondant for an easy, smooth removal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%