Rock Hard Sample Disaster!! Help Quick!

Decorating By sweetartbakery Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 11:59am by sweetartbakery

sweetartbakery Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 11

so I have my frist bridal show this weekend, in 2 days!!!!! so I think that I have really got it together, right. sample cakes made. I bought 100's of these cute little boxes to package each sample in, all labeld with a pretty ribbon. I packed a sample into two, just to see how they would hold.

overnight, i thought would be fine.... nope-the cake turned into rocks!!!!! i didn't add buttercream, do you think that ould have helped. holy cow, the show starts tomorrow and I don't know what to do about these samples!

10 replies
lh Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 11

what do you mean by rocks?

sweetartbakery Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 11

beautiful moist cake turned into little hard crutons!

butterfly831915 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 11

I would say they dried out.

I would add some icing to see how that works. You should be able to tell in about an hour or two if it is going to help out. Otherwise I would say you would have to box up at the event or get another little container to place the sample in (kinda like the ones you get with side condiments at some resturants, they have the little plastic lid that snaps on) and then place that in the box. Not as pretty but could help with taste.

megmarie Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 11

Simple syrup on top to add more moisture?

leah_s Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 11

I only use the little souffle cups. A 1" cube of cake fills them so there's not much air to dry out the sample. And yes, put simple syrup (a wash) and bc on the samples.

You should remember that at a wedding show efficiency is the name of the game. Cute boxes and ribbons on your samples is totaly a waste IMHO. And I've been doing shows for 11 years.

Cuter biz card, eye catching display, samples packed to survive the trip home after they've been thrown in a shopping bag are the things you need.

sweetartbakery Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 11

ok, experiment with buttercream in my kitchen now. getting new containers is not an option when I have to stuff them all tomorrow and there is no where around here to buy stuff. oh, and it was all so well planned until now!

sweetartbakery Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 11

leah- so right on the efficiency thing. I thought that after I got the dumb things, and also thought that I would never do this again (the box part). I bought them on a whim, and now I'm stuck with it. they are cute though! ha ha ha. live and learn, i guess. now lets hope the cake doesn't stink!

sweetartbakery Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 1:28pm
post #9 of 11

UGH! all experiments from last night are also hard yuckies! I've used the plastic things before and they were fine, but I guess the boxes just let too much moisture out. the one that did the best was left in the fridge overnight, but still not good.

at this point I'm thinking of giving them all a ganache dip. HUGE waste of time, but I promised the vendor I would have sample and I don't have any other containers (or ability to buy them in this area). I actually have the time to do it, just such a waste too!

stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid!!!

Mensch Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 1:31pm
post #10 of 11

I've got my bridal show in two weeks. I always use the dressing cups for samples. A little square of cake and a spooge of filling - put on the lid and go. I make them two days before the show and keep them in the fridge and they're always moist and good.

sweetartbakery Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 11:59am
post #11 of 11

well, I couldn't use the damn boxes. I have large plastic containers for cupcakes, so I made up hundreds of little samples and put them in there. I dished them out at the show and they were super moist and great. oh well... I'll use the boxes for something else. they are sitting in my living room laughing at me now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%