I Almost Burned The House Down!

Lounge By julzs71 Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 4:48am by Mrs-A

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 10

I tend to forget things....ALOT! In my defense I got in a car accident and injured the brain. So yesterday I was celebrating my first listing on a house, I just became a realtor. I got some cookies from the store to bake.
I turn the oven on go to the living room and forget about it. I start smelling stuff burning....what the heck. We block off the room with curtains because we have radiator heat here. So we are only searching around here and my son says the it's the radiator. So we sit down. A minute later in the kitchen a whoosh sound happens and the kitchen is super bright.
I run in there and notice the stove is on fire. My dumb a$$ gets the pan and I start to bring it to the sink so it doesn't burn the wood behind the stove. Then I realize, not a great idea, so I put it back on the stove and get the baking soda. It did put it out. I burnt the control knobs, and it smells like burnt popcorn in here...13 hours later My lungs sting a little bit from inhaling the smoke in.
What started the whole fire? Not the oven, because it wasn't even on. I turned the stove on. On top of the stove was some oil I had in a pan that I was waiting to throw away in an empty milk container. So that was what started it.
I even said to my kids "Which one of you turned the stove on?". Both said not me and began blamming the other. I then remembered coming in the kitchen and having cookies to make, so I fessed up as being the guilty one and apologized.
Crazy day!

9 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 10

oh wow............that is scary!!!! Nothing burns like oil!!!

I did something kinda similar the other night....I put a pot of water on the stove to boil some spaghetti and went in the living room (cuz we all know a watched pot never boils lol) well, I turned the wrong burner on.......I smelled this weird icky smell.......came back in the kitchen...............my empty tea pot was on the back burner, the one I ACTUALLY did turn on and was all warped and stunk horribly!!! Had to toss it......it was a nice stainless stell tea kettle too.....that think is all wonky lookin' now......should have taken a picture! lol

mrspriss0912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrspriss0912 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:05am
post #3 of 10

Bless your heart Im glad you got it out in time. I actually set garlic bread on fire in my oven ooooopppss didnt know it would you do that

FullMoonRanch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullMoonRanch Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:24am
post #4 of 10

Hi Julzs71! Congratulations on the house listing! I set a pot holder on fire once. I turned on the wrong burner too. I would love to have a gas stove but it is not an option here. Thank goodness you did not panic and add water to the oil!

KHalsead my husband 'killed' our teapot the same way! Unfortunatley it cracked the glass stovetop too icon_sad.gif .

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:29am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I did something kinda similar the other night....I put a pot of water on the stove to boil some spaghetti and went in the living room (cuz we all know a watched pot never boils lol) well, I turned the wrong burner on.......I smelled this weird icky smell.......came back in the kitchen...............my empty tea pot was on the back burner, the one I ACTUALLY did turn on and was all warped and stunk horribly!!! Had to toss it......it was a nice stainless stell tea kettle too.....that think is all wonky lookin' now......should have taken a picture! lol

I did that before too, turned on the wrong burner. Since I have very limited counter space, my stove gets used as an extra countertop. I had a glass pan of bar cookies parked on one of the burners. That was the burner that I turned on. I realized it after about five minutes and turned it off, then went to tell my husband what I did. I heard a big noise in the kitchen, and the pan had shattered. We had glass shards everywhere...good thing no one was in the kitchen when it actually shattered, I think it would have been dangerous.

Oh, and here's another oops I had...I wasn't used to cooking on an electric stove yet. I was renting a room from someone and she had those little metal burner covers that used to be popular. I forgot to take it off the burner before I put my skillet on there. It smoked like crazy and smelled horrible. I was really embarrassed but the lady whose house I was living in just laughed and said that it proved I was human after all.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:34am
post #6 of 10

Thanks all! I'm glad I'm not the only one. Thank goodness my husband is gone, or he would still be teasing me.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:44am
post #7 of 10

I burned a hole through the bottom of a plastic cannister once. It was in an apt I had in college. I was using the oven to bake (cookies, actually, I think) and I'd set the sugar cannister on top of the back right eye of the stove, forgetting that in that style of electric stove (the old kind with the exposed coil), the oven vented through that eye. Wasn't until I smelled burning plastic and sugar that I realized what I'd done! The heat venting from the oven melted right through the bottom of the cannister and sugar poured down into the back of the oven and began to burn. Let me tell you, burnt on sugar is a b!tch to clean out of a non-self-cleaning oven! Had to chip it off w/ a spatula, cause Easy Off had no affect on it!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:49am
post #8 of 10

oh gosh.. gald your ok! i went through a faze once were everytime i turned the stove on i set something on fire =/. it honestly lasted a week.. and burnt up a whole supply of tea toiwels.. whoops.

oh well, we learn from our mistakes, rest assured i always check there nothing i can set on fire when i turn the stove on these days.. the tea towels are safe! yay!

Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:00am
post #9 of 10

Don't feel bad julzs71. Once upon a time long long ago when I first met who is now my husband, I didn't know how to cook really anything at all. Well he didn't know that and so I got cocky and I invited him over for dinner. icon_wink.gif I promised him a wonderful dinner and the next thing I know he is telling me that the pot of water on the stove was on fire. icon_surprised.gif Now I don't know even to this day as an experienced cook how the heck I set a pot of water on fire. The flames were about 2 feet high. Here we are 14 years later and he still teases me. icon_cry.gif He tells that story to everyone we meet. Everytime I bake something and the smoke alarm just happens to get set off (cuz it is so sensative), he always says "thats a smoke alarm babe not a timer". Smart A$$!! Oh well. What can you do? You live and learn and then you go bake a cake! icon_rolleyes.gif

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:48am
post #10 of 10

oh ive set off a fire in the kitchen before and i was making toast at the time. hubby comes racing in screaming 'whats wrong, whats happening" and i try to fake it by looking at him and saying "nothing honey, go back and watch tv"

which was kinda hard to pull off with blaring smoke alarm going off, a fire blanket thrown over the oven (i dont own a toaster, i make toast under the griller) and smoke everywhere

its been a few years and he still reminds me

glad to hear you guys were ok and congrats on your 1st listing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%