Help!!!

Decorating By CakeMommyJeni Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 8:50pm by Darthburn

CakeMommyJeni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyJeni Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 5

icon_mad.gif
I am making a cake today and I was going to cover it in Chocolate Marshmallow Fondant, but it is NOT working for me! It is cracking like crazy, will not roll out. I have had very good luck with regular marshmallow fondant and thought I would try the chocolate fondant to get the brown color and it is just not working. I don't know if I should just throw it away or if there is anything I can do.
I have added crisco, water, corn syrup....it is still cracking and not the right consistancy and not it seems too soft! What do I do!!!

4 replies
JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 5

I can't help you but I just have a suggestion for any further questions. Put as much as you can in your Subject Title because some people skip a thread when they don't know what it's about and there might be some fondant pros skipping...Hope you find your answer.

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 5

I'm not a pro by any means but I have used chocolate MMF using Michelle Foster's recipe. Did you allow it to rest a few hours before your started working with it? If you have some glycerine on hand, you might try adding a little of that. If it is too dry and you've already added all of those items listed, I would try the glycerine or a bit more shortening in a small amount of fondant. If that doesn't work, I would probably start again. Sometimes it seems like the weather and humidity are a factor to me since I live in GA. Hope that helps.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 5

I've had that problem too and shortening or water didn't help. Chocolate can throw the recipe all out of wack. Try adding more melted marshmallows.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 5

You definately need more marshmellows in it. By now you've probably outbalanced it with everything else.
Take a step back and breath. icon_smile.gif

Did you add chocolate or cocoa powder?

I have added both powder and syrup and they do indeed cause strange reactions. Powder really dries out the MMF and syrup makes in gooey until you beef up the PS

What are you rolling it on? If you haven't already, use cornstarch... PS will dry it up even more.

Keep us updated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%