Do You Charge More For Candy Cake?

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 7:55pm by dandelion56602

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 7

I'm looking for more cakes w/ lollipops & other store bought candies. But will take answers for the kit kat/m&m cakes too.

I think this is cute http://www.thecakemamas.com/uploads/2/0/9/4/2094405/6775996.jpg

And I love this one
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DvQd7FfQXT4/SHuhNjCRHsI/AAAAAAAAAnc/D6ZNhp_p4Aw/s320/candy.jpg

Do you think those are candies on the side? If so what kind?

This would be a good simple alternative, but anything besides gumdrops & what around the bottom?
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=107481

I know, I'm mean, but I don't buy candy for my girls. So, I'm at a loss where to even find those kind of lollipops & how much they'd be. I know Walmart carries things like sprees, skittles, & stuff like that, but I'm clueless on the other stuff. We do have a candy store in town, but we all know what kind of prices they have icon_sad.gif

6 replies
greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 7

I've seen a lot of people make those giant lolipops out of colored gumpaste (or fondant with tylose). roll out logs/snakes of 2 or three different colors, twist them together like a rope, then roll the whole thing into a wheel and press to flatten just a bit. Insert a sucker stick at the bottom, lay flat to dry and there you have it!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 7

looks to me like they squished starburst into squares to use as the border on that last cake!

dandelion56602 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 7

She's not wanting to pay for fondant/gumpaste accents. Which is fine with me. I don't know cost wise which would be cheaper though

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 7

I definitely charge them more..............when i make treasure chest cakes I charge them $5.00 for about $2.00 worth of candy.........I still have to shop for it.

I would tell them to buy the candy they'd like on the cake and provide it to you, otherwise charge them $5.00 plus the cost of the candy!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 7

Very cute cakes posted in this thread.

dandelion56602 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 7

OMG! I just went to the Dollar Tree & they had some stuff that could be used. But get this, Cracker Barrel has the old "rope" rolled lollies for $1.80 each (for the small). the local candy store has them for $2.50 ea & the big ones for $5 & then the unicorn ones are $5 too. So, I'm going to recommend she supply me w/ the candy & let me decorate. Have a feeling this is going to be an order lost!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%