2010 Maryland Legalize Home Kitchens Bill

Decorating By Jodiedew Updated 26 Oct 2011 , 6:55pm by bonniebakes

fairmaiden4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden4 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:18am
post #181 of 217

Wow..I've read all the posts on here and it looks like you guys have woked so had to get this law passes...Is there a bill before the House for 2011? I sure wish this would pass...I love to bake and have so many ideas of making a few extra bucks that it would be nice if I could do it fom home...If anyone knows anything about a bill for 2011 I would be interested in helping with it....

unixboymd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unixboymd Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 6:08am
post #182 of 217

I just found this thread and am wondering if anyone is working on this for the 2011 year.

lecie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecie Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:41am
post #183 of 217

Same here! I was wondering if anyone is working on this for the 2011 year.

unixboymd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unixboymd Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:46am
post #184 of 217

While they don't allow you to bake in a home kitchen. But will allow it if you have a totally separate out building/kitchen.

Does anyone know the rules & regulations for a food truck? I had the idea the other day while watching the FoodNetwork. They were showcasing a food truck that sold nothing but desserts - cupcakes, cupcake shake, cupcake on a stick, cake balls on a stick, etc.

I'm sure that buying a food truck is much cheaper than building a separate kitchen/outbuilding.

Just curious.

amyruth219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyruth219 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:01pm
post #185 of 217

Hey All, if anyone is still following this thread, I'm meeting with Delegate Love on Friday, Feb 11 to discuss the reintroduction of the bill. If there is anything you'd like me to pass along when I'm there, I'm happy to take with me the comments of the masses! icon_biggrin.gif

You can reach me either through CakeCentral.com or via email at [email protected]

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:42pm
post #186 of 217

that's fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to meet with her on all of our behalf - and please thank her for us, too!

Msjckson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Msjckson Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 9:33pm
post #187 of 217

That is awesome! I hope it goes well.

lecie Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:44pm
post #188 of 217

Same here, I pray it does go well!!!

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:46pm
post #189 of 217

Thanks so much for taking up this issue! It's very frustrating to know we are surrounded by states that make this issue so much easier!

I actually was able to testify a few years ago but was unable to last year. It was quite an experience.

Let us know what we can do to help.

Ladybug09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug09 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:10pm
post #190 of 217

This is fantastic news! I hope this is finally successful. Please let me know how if I can help in any way.

amyruth219 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 5:06pm
post #191 of 217

Okay, so after my meeting with Delegate Love, this is where we stand ...

The bill will most likely not get introduced in 2011 because we're too far into the session already and some additional research/meetings need to happen.

In addition to Delegate Love (who is actually one of my delegates), a representative from the Health committee (his name was Patrick) also sat in on the meeting. His committee is who the bill initially goes to to be discussed. What he said is that unless we can get the health department onboard we will never get this past the committee!

So, our next step is to meet with Fran, she's the Deputy Director of the Health Department. We are going to see what concerns they have an see if, there is any evidence we can provide to assuage their concerns. Hopefully, through dialogue we can come to an agreement that will win us the approval we need in order to present this to the Legislature for 2012!!!!

bonniebakes Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 8:33pm
post #192 of 217

amyruth - thanks for going to that meeting and giving us that information. Please keep us informed and let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

birdlady9771 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdlady9771 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 9:56pm
post #193 of 217

I'm moving to MD (Elkton) next month, so any info is appreciated. Thanks!

lecie Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:46am
post #194 of 217

Ms Amyruth219
I will like to know if Ms Fran, Deputy Director of the Health Department is she responsible for the whole State of Maryland. i just wanted to know to see what I can do to help. Like asking if the health department in my area to help so this bill can be pass. Please do let us know what we can do to help as well. Thank you so much for doing this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyruth219

Okay, so after my meeting with Delegate Love, this is where we stand ...

The bill will most likely not get introduced in 2011 because we're too far into the session already and some additional research/meetings need to happen.

In addition to Delegate Love (who is actually one of my delegates), a representative from the Health committee (his name was Patrick) also sat in on the meeting. His committee is who the bill initially goes to to be discussed. What he said is that unless we can get the health department onboard we will never get this past the committee!

So, our next step is to meet with Fran, she's the . We are going to see what concerns they have an see if, there is any evidence we can provide to assuage their concerns. Hopefully, through dialogue we can come to an agreement that will win us the approval we need in order to present this to the Legislature for 2012!!!!

amyruth219 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 3:05am
post #195 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecie

is she responsible for the whole State of Maryland

Yes, she is responsible for the whole state. She used to be the director of the Anne Arundel County Health Department but now she's with the State Health Department.

I will know more about what we need to research/work on once I've met with her. I'm not sure when that will be but I will keep you all posted as soon as I know something!

lecie Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 3:36am
post #196 of 217

Thanks Ms. AmyRuth219

Lbolea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lbolea Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 3:08pm
post #197 of 217

I would be more than happy to testify should you get it to that point this year. I live in Frederick, MD, and would love to be able to make and sell baked goods from my kitchen. I am a Wilton Method Instructor and have many students who would like to do the same. Please keep me informed on the progress of the bill. I hope it passes, and soon! With the recession, I could use any extra money this would help generate!

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:02pm
post #198 of 217

Thanks AmyRuth - I too testified on the first go round and that's what we were told as well....it's all about the Health Department....they are the key player here! Please keep us posted and I will do what I can this time around as well! icon_smile.gif

Thanks again for putting your time into all of this!

candyapplekc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyapplekc Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 2:35pm
post #199 of 217

Late as usual once again, but has anyone else seen and read about New Jersey get their bill passed?

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/BillView.asp
http://www.facebook.com/NJHomeBakersBill

Ok so what do Marylander's need to do next? Is anyone spearheading this for 2012?

Acjohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acjohnson Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:04pm
post #200 of 217

I would like to know what I can do to help get this passed!

amyruth219 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 7:09pm
post #201 of 217

Hi All,

Just an update ... I finally have a meeting with the Health Department on Friday. I will be meeting with Dr. Mitchell, he is the Assistant Director for the Office of Infectious Environmental Health and Food Protection. I will keep you all posted.

For those of you who are able, please take a minute to review the bill from last year and let me know if there is anything that you just CAN'T live with if it was changed.

Thanks!
- Amy

P.S. I have set up a facebook page to share this info with ... if you'd like to check it out, the address is: http://www.facebook.com/pages/MD-Cottage-Food-Law-Pending/129079773851142

StephsCakes72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephsCakes72 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 7:16pm
post #202 of 217

Thank you Amy! Let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do to assist you!

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 7:35pm
post #203 of 217

really appreciate your efforts!

Thanks!

candyapplekc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyapplekc Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 7:54pm
post #204 of 217

Where can we find the old bill to review it? I can't remember everything that it stated. Is it anything written like the Texas law?

amyruth219 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 11:48pm
post #205 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyapplekc

Where can we find the old bill to review it? I can't remember everything that it stated. Is it anything written like the Texas law?

The 2010 proposed bill can be read at http://mlis.state.md.us/2010rs/billfile/hb0607.htm and the 2009 bill can be read at http://mlis.state.md.us/2009rs/billfile/hb0728.htm

bonniebakes Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 2:47pm
post #206 of 217

thanks, Amyruth! Keep us posted and let us know if there is anything we can do to help!

bonniebakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 3:17pm
post #207 of 217

Amyruth219 - how'd the meeting go?

amyruth219 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:18am
post #208 of 217

Okay, sorry for the delay ... the meeting was rescheduled to this morning at 9:30am.

I'm still typing up my notes from the meeting but the moral of the story is, we need to be able to offset state and local Health Department costs, while not pissing off established businesses and conform to all federal, state and local ordinances.

Also, even if we get the law through the state legislature, it is likely that some counties will prohibit it through their local ordinances. Specifically, Baltimore City, Baltimore County, PG County and Montgomery ... there could be some issues with Anne Arundel and Howard Counties too but they are less likely to put up much hassle.

Needless to say, it's going to take a LOT of work to come up with a bill that makes everyone happy but I think we can all do it!

The good news is, if you want to be able to sell to the consumer in the mean time, you have two options ...

1) you can sell at Farmers Markets, Bake Sales, Craft Shows, and other such venues with just a basic license. You may even take custom orders at these venues but you must have your customer pick up from the venue (you can not deliver). You can find the actual code wording at http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/10/10.15.03.27.htm

2) you can work out an arrangement with an established kitchen (i.e. church, elks lodge, VFW) to use their kitchen for baking purposes and apply for a license with the county to operate as a food service facility. Info on these licenses for AA County can be found at http://www.aahealth.org/programs/env-hlth/licenses-and-permits/food-general ... I will find the links for the other counties and post them soon. [/url]

bonniebakes Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 6:15pm
post #209 of 217

well that's disappointing!

Amyruth - I knew about the farmer's market allowance, but are you saying that the same rules apply to craft fairs and bake sales? i see bake sales in the title, but in the text it all refers to farmers markets... do you have any clarification on that?

amyruth219 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 6:36pm
post #210 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

well that's disappointing!

Amyruth - I knew about the farmer's market allowance, but are you saying that the same rules apply to craft fairs and bake sales? i see bake sales in the title, but in the text it all refers to farmers markets... do you have any clarification on that?

Yes, I asked that specifically and was told that it applies the same. It does NOT however apply to Wedding Shows.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%